HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kamisc, Nov 16, 2011.

1. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

Help! I teach first grade and I believe the homework I am sending home is far too easy for my students. Most are finishing it all in a minute (from what I am being told). Any ideas for homework ideas in first grade? Any ideas of things to send home to children to challenge them.

3. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 16, 2011

Does your school require a certain amount of homework per night? The best homework is reading with a parent for 15 minutes each night also math facts sheets.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 16, 2011

What sorts of homework are you sending home? When we had that complaint last year I began sending home something each night for every subject (math, reading, writing/spelling and i altered between science and social studies)

Also you might suggest that parents give their kids practice problems or depending on how cool they are you can be upfront and tell them if they google the skill and worksheets for first grade(ie: telling time worksheets for 1st graders), they can find additional work for the children as well as games.

Does your school have study island for home? i-station? waterford? starfall? (don't need an account for that). you can have kids get on there for 15 - 30 minutes each night for homework

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 16, 2011

I try to keep hw light, but one minute is very quick :) I agree with pp that reading each night is crucial. Also, I send them home with a math sheet every night to keep them working on these skills. I also send home a challenge sheet for the week. It has 5 problems or questions of some kind. It is due at the end of the week. The problems are a little more involved and usually include looking something up. The idea with the challenge sheet is to get parents involved. The problems/tasks are 5-7 minutes, with a max of 10 minutes. There are 5 so they have one every night. I use this so 1) there is interaction between parents and kids 2) the "other" skills are being reinforced/taught at home (how to look things up, asking good questions, etc. and 3) to establish the expectation of parent involvement in future work, projects, assignments, etc.

6. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

How about something open ended or problem based? Such as how many Litres (If using metric system) worth of liquid items do you have in your fridge? Or measure the perimeter of your house. How could you work out different ways to decorate your room with the furniture you have. Some challenges like these might be a whole week thing but they could definitely challenge the students.