HELP!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Rolan77, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Rolan77

Rolan77 Rookie

Oct 2, 2010

I am so overwhelmed with all the information that I have found on the internet that I'm hoping some of you can help me condense it all.
    This is my first year teaching K and I'm still trying to work out all the scheduling issues. My team isn't much help to me either so I'm looking to you all!
    1. How much time do you have for Centers each day?
    2. While the students are at centers, do you take groups?
    3. What are you doing with each group and how long are you working with them? And do you teach "new" skills in small groups or just reinforce?
    4. What do you do in a whole group? and what is taught in whole group as opposed to small?
    5. Do you follow a specific reading curriculum/series? and do you "really" follow it?
    Any help you can give me would be very helpful. I feel like I'm so overwhelmed! Thank you to anyone to helps me out!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2010

When I taught K, I didn't really do centers as most say. I had my students working independently at stations. I had an independent reading stations (mostly book walks), library station (when I could send them to the library...), computer station (mostly for phonics), listening station, phonics station, and writing station.
    I would spend about 15-20 minutes at a station and would do anywhere from 3-5 stations a day (depending on the day), but not back to back.
    I did meet with small groups to work on specific skills. I might have a group working on something new if they were ready or other groups working on re-teaching if needed. Depended on the students.
    Whole group-I usually teach what most of the students are ready for. I would teach letters and sounds, phonemic awareness activities, read aloud, some comprehension skills/strategies. Small group was for what a specific group of students needed--and my groups changed often (daily, weekly, monthly depending on need).

4. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Oct 2, 2010

Hope I can help!

We do centers for 4o mins or so....we are supposed to work up to 60 by mid year. I have 7 centers (to keep the groups small) and each student only visits one center per day. The way we work centers is that we give kids a choice of activities to do in there, but I only place activities that will focus on the skill we are currently working on. We have the art center, math center, abc (phonics) center, writing center, listening/library center, computer center, and teacher center (kids use the meeting area or overhead and "play teacher")
    I pull groups of kids to focus on reinforcement of skills-occasionally with my higher students I will work on new concepts the rest of the group is not ready for, for example this year I have a few who are already reading. I use the curriculum my district has as a guide, basically meaning I follow the skills being taught, but sub in my own material when I don't like what they have.

In whole group I teach the focus skills for reading, and phonemic awareness, etc., but then reinforce all that in centers and my small groups.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 2, 2010

1. How much time do you have for Centers each day?

It depends on my afternoon special, but about 25-45 minutes.

2. While the students are at centers, do you take groups?

Eventually I will, but right now I'm doing some one on one assessing and just monitoring the centers to make sure they're independent enough so I CAN take kids soon.

3. What are you doing with each group and how long are you working with them? And do you teach "new" skills in small groups or just reinforce?

Usually guided reading.

4. What do you do in a whole group? and what is taught in whole group as opposed to small?

Mini-lessons, read-alouds, songs, etc.

5. Do you follow a specific reading curriculum/series? and do you "really" follow it?

Sort of... :)

6. luv2garden

luv2garden Rookie

Oct 3, 2010

I'm so sorry you have a team like that!

In my district, we have a mandatory 90 minute reading block. 25 for shared reading, 5 for phonemic awareness and 60 for literacy centers/guided reading.

Yes, when the kids are doing their independent literacy centers, I am pulling groups. Right now, I am doing whole group centers with them. I am teaching my expectations for what literacy centers should look and sound like. We also talk about consequences for not finishing work. I am introducing 1 to 2 centers a day. I will be doing 1 more week of whole group centers, and then the following week they will be going to centers independently. I will most likely not begin pulling reading groups for 3 weeks or so, as I am working dilligently to finish up necessary assessments.

It depends. For my lower groups I am strictly reinforcing! For my higher groups, I may introduce a new skill. I really just depends on your kids. I can send you a copy of my guided reading plans from last year if you would like to see what a week in guided reading looks like.

I generally go back and reinforce concepts previously taught. We work on concepts about print (orienting the book, 1:1 correspondence, letter vs word ect.), or we may work on phonemic awareness (sounds, rhyming, syllables, segmenting, blending or word families). We also do sight word recognition (I may have the kids write a sentence using a particular sight word. Then I would cut it up and ask them to put it back together).

I do not use a specific curriculum. I do however supplement.

Any questions, feel free to email me: xfallingxstarsx@hotmail.com

:) I'm sorry your going through this! I know how frustrating it can be dealing with team members like that...

7. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 3, 2010

There have been a lot of threads about scheduling in the past and people have posted their daily schedules. I think if you search for them you will find a lot of useful info.