Help!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Aug 21, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

Help! I need advice. I have been teaching for 13 years now. I will continue to teach kindergarten, but I will also teach preschool. I will have the kindergarten class in the morning and another teacher will have the same group in the afternoon. I had a lot of my things set for the year. I was going to use my behavior system, my BEE folders, and other things that have worked for me year after year. Well they hired a brand new teacher. I was out all week with a kidney stone and just went back yesterday. School will start next week.

Here is the problem. I have my ideas what I want to do with this class and she has her ideas. I know I have to compromise but I feel like I am compromising on everything and also making more work for me. She wants to have her own folders and behavior system. I do just a teachers helper and she wants a job for everyone. For this to work we need to be on the same page. She is very nice, but she seems to want to do it her way. She also got rid of all plaything like the kitchen, and toys.

I know part of the problem is me. I am use to being the only kindergarten teacher. I am also not feeling very well at this time.
    Any ideas on how to handle this? I want to start the year off right.

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

IMO, SHE is the new teacher and should follow YOUR lead for the year. I would never walk in as the newbie and change what has worked for 13 years. She may be nice, but she is stepping on your toes...especially getting rid of your kitchen and toys.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

I think you should sit her down and be HONEST with how your feeling. It sounds like you are willing to COMPROMISE on many things and meet her half way - tell her that and also that you'd like her to do the same. If you don't collaborate and BOTH compromise, you'll both have a miserable year. Explain to her you feel you need to discuss this with her so you can BOTH do what's BEST FOR THE KIDS. That's what it's all about. :) Good luck!

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 25, 2010

Hey, I PMed you back. I asked if she was new or experienced, and it looks like she is new. I would NEVER go in and step on someones toes like that especially when they are more experienced than me! I would like my ideas to be heard and discuss what to change and be compromised, but it should be even. I would express the fact that these things you have implemented has taken you a long time this summer to get together and try to figure out a way to make it work together. I agree with the above poster who said you should just be honest with her and let her know how you feel. I know it can be uncomfortable (especially when you are not a person who likes conflict). But in the end, it comes down to whats best for the students and they need two teachers on the same page together. I really hope things got better for you!!

As for getting rid of the toys....where did she go to college at?!?! Doesnt she know that there should be SOME playtime in kinder?! Im not saying all day, but both acadmics and play. They are only 5-6 years old. Does she want them in chairs doing worksheets the whole time? Good luck !!!!

6. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

I know your pain. Just be as honest as possible. I once had a co-teacher who didn't like the way I did anything and she didn't tell me all year. She'd say things like, "What you're doing is fine, but I'm just going to add to it", but I could tell that she really thought the students were playing too much. She refused to listen to my opinion because she had her own years of daycare experience. I wasn't so much looking for someone to go along with everything I did as someone who would have been honest about her feelings and PAID ATTENTION to what I had to say, rather than automatically discounting it. I hope it all works out well for you!

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 29, 2010

Okay, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but here's the way I see it:
    You = 13 years of experience, valued and trusted long-time member of the staff, familiar to the families and community
    Her (and I'm assuming here) = new to the profession, new to the school, new to the families/community

She may have some great ideas, but frankly, they are just ideas right now. They are not tried-and-true, which is what you have in your "bag of tricks." I would gently, but firmly, suggest to her that as the veteran teacher, you would like to continue using what has worked in the past, but would consider adding her ideas if they are not drastically different from what you have planned to do. New teachers are usually very excited to try all the things they've learned, but that doesn't mean they'll work in all situations. Your willingness to compromise is admirable, but your years of experience deserve to count more, especially if you will be working with the same kids each day. And I'm sorry but, getting rid of the toys without your approval?? That sounds like overstepping, if you ask me.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

She had no right to get rid of anything that didn't belong to her.

I would be speaking to administration.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

WHAT she got rid of the playthings. Does she not understand that the best learning is during play time. Sit her down and tell her how it is going to be. Why isn't she teaching the preschool? And you just keep your class all day. Seems stressful for the children to have to change a teacher halfway through the day.

10. vaani

vaani Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

u r correct....she should follow u...but let her discuss about her ideas with u tooo. give suggestions to her

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

I agree....why isn't she teaching the preschool?

12. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

She would be if she had an Early Childhood degree.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

That's what I was thinking; she's not qualified to teache ECE.

14. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

The bad thing about this is she was hired a week before school, while I was dealing with the kidney stones and I wasn't able to talk to her until later. The P had another teacher help her set up. The other teacher teaches third grade at another building in our district. I think that is how the toys ended up in the hallway. They told her anything she didn't want to put in hallway to be put in storage. I am wondering if she told her she didn't need it.

Things are a little bit better. But every time I walk into her room I can see in her face that she doesn't want me there and she becomes very defensive. I am just taking it one day at a time. We will see how this week goes.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 30, 2010

her room? Isn't it your room?

16. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

I have a room for morning kindergarten and she has one right next door for the afternoon. I then have another room for preschool. The whole situation stinks. I hate it, but I am trying to stay positive. Things are going a little better.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 30, 2010

Oh so you can have all the "developmental" play things in your classroom at least they will have a good half day in the morning.

18. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 30, 2010

I thought I could bring them over to the preschool room too and use the centers there too.

19. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

Now that's using your noggin. Her loss is your gain! :)