HELP!!!! Working memory!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 18, 2015

I am in charge of completing paperwork for recently tested students. I am noticing this large trend of students who have average or high average IQ's (or GAI's), but have horrible working memory. They are not qualifying for Special Ed, but almost all of them are failing every single subject. In each case, the educational scores were comparable to the IQ's. So....on paper it shows that they do know a lot, but it's frustrating when they are doing so poorly in class. We still solely use the discrepancy model. (Let's not even go there, because there aren't enough bad words in the world to communicate how I feel about that!)

If you have any resources, apps, or websites please share them with me. :thanks:

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 18, 2015

In my totally uneducated opinion, apps and other electronic devices are what is causing this trend with our students. Working memory and attention issues have got to be affected by our *instant* society

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 18, 2015

I have a lot of students who have difficulty with this. I don't have any answers. I'm posting so I can follow this.

I've put memory games and a simon game out for my students.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2015

I did some research on this topic of over stimulation of the brain and how that may be the result of too much too soon, whether you are talking the TV babysitter, the computer/tablet playmate, or the constant use of video games, now taken everywhere on a tablet or cell phone. Feel free to look at one of my favorite articles: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3409385/

It won't cure your problem, but it does point a finger at why the problem seems to be getting worse instead of better.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

Are you speaking of actual working memory or using the term loosly to describe memorization? I ask because different stratgies would apply. (Working memory deficits are not necesarrily a sign of a learning disability which is why these students are not qualifying for IEPs.)

Are all these kids being tested for Sped because they are failing all their classes? They must be failing for some other reason than a disability. Are you sure they are failing due to working memory problems?

I agree that kids do have a lot of distractions and attention issues. They have to juggle so many things - academic and social - and many have stressful home lives. All those extra thoughts are certainly likely to take up working memory capacity. It is really difficult to get over-stimulated minds to relax and focus, especially if the task at hand is low-interest.

If you think of working memory as having a notepad in your brain - then it's actually pretty easy to support these kids. You could allow them to refer to notes instead of remembering steps of an experiment or chunk assignments into smaller tasks. Also, finding ways to help kids engage in their work helps focus. This is why project based learning can be so effective.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

Not sure how likely it is, but I've had a few students who have had lead poisoning as babies and they struggled with memory. Just a thought that may not have been considered.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 19, 2015

Low working memory scores can be associated with ADHD.

I dislike the discrepancy model greatly.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 19, 2015

There is a book called "Make it Stick" by Peter C. Brown. It is suppose to be very good in addressing what you are concerned about. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but plan on reading it within the next month or two. Might want to look at the reviews for this book and see if it might be some help.