Help with writing objectives on IEP

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by tshame1, Mar 8, 2004.

1. tshame1

tshame1 Guest

Mar 8, 2004

HI,
    I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on writing a short term objective for an annual goal on an IEP. I'm at a stand still and could use a little help.

Thanks Tricia

3. jcg

jcg Cohort

Mar 10, 2004

Basically, I try to break the goal uup into steps for the objectives.
    Example:
    Goal Student will increase color recognition from matching colors to naming colors when asked.
    Objectives:
    1. When presented with 8 colors(red, blue, yellow, purple, green, orange, brown and black), child will point to requested color with 80% accuracy as recorded by classroom staff.
    2. When asked to identify 8 colors(red, blue, yellow, purple, green, orange, brown and black), child will name color with 80% accuracy as recorded by classroom staff.

Hope this helps.:)

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Mar 11, 2004

Yes, I break down the steps of the skill also. For writing their name I usually break it into 3 steps--will trace letters of name, will write letters from a model, will write from memory. I have also broken down the goal into where I need for it to take place. For example will follow 2 step directions during structured activities (small group time) and will follow 2 step directions during unstructured times (outside time). Don't over think the process, just think what the child needs to know--I sometimes with come up with my objectives first and then come up with a goal. For example, I often think that in the area of communication that a particular student needs to be able to name pictures and needs to be able to follow simple directions. I then think how I can put these together--working on expressive and receptive language. I work with pre-k kids, not sure what your level is--and if this helps at all. Good Luck--let us know if you need anymore assistance.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mar 15, 2004

IEP

Depending on what state you are in, there may be objectives written in line with standards. California has a book called simply "Goals and Objectives." And we also have a large book for functional skills. I don't know if other states do that.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 16, 2004

Go to www.LdOnline.com They have an e-newsletter which is super. Either the Feb. or March edition has several articles on writing IEP's. It is a free publication of the LD Association.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mar 21, 2004

There is also a great book called "Goal Nuggets" I cant think of the author but it saved me in college. It has goals for each grade level and every subject. I have it at school and use it quite often.

8. dro

dro Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

unregistered,I'd like to see that "Gold Nuggets",My county school system doesn't have anything like that. I get tired for writing goals off the top of my head .