Help with work station organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachtheWorld, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I have and hour and 20 minutes of small reading group time. During this time, the students are rotating through work stations. I have them go to work stations and rotate as I finish each reading group. This means that with some groups they are in a work station for 20-25 minutes. Due to the way I have them rotate, they go to three work stations plus meet with me each day. I have 15 work stations set up which gets so hard to keep up. I've tried to cut back, but then I run into having 3-4 people in one work station (I like to keep it to 2). Is there an easier way? Help!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

I have students in partnerships (2s), though the partnerships combine to make groups of 4. :) I have 10 stations, but they rotate through two a day.

4. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Ms. Jasztal, They go to two stations plus you? How many reading groups do you have? How do the students know to rotate?

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

They go to me twice a week; daily is not required. I do have the independent reading time for 25 minutes, however, so I can have individual or partnership conferences if I really need to. They know to go to specific centers because each combined group has a team leader and I alert him or her what will be going on for the group for the day. I hold those leaders accountable. Now I see you're a first grade teacher (and I'm advanced fourth), so maybe to make the organization of your centers super-simple, you can color code the centers.

How long do you have for centers daily as well for the whole reading/writing block? Do you do mini-lessons? Curious about that; maybe I can provide more advice, too.

6. haleybug

haleybug Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I also teach first grade and often have my children in workstations as long as you do. My children rotate after each reading group. I have a chart that they go by to see what workstation they go to next. They work in partners. I probably have about 8-10 literacy centers. The children also have one rotation where they work at their desk on math (review from the day before) and word study (review of that day's word study lesson). Each time my timer goes off the children know to rotate to their next workstation. I have their picture beside 5 other pictures to show them where to go. One of their rotations is to come to me.
    Also, I feel overwhelmed a lot at coming up with ideas for our workstations. One thing I learned from Debbie Diller is to put things in your workstations that you used to teach your children with. Then they will already know what to do and they are practicing skills you have taught them. I often put picture sorts, word sorts, or activities we have done as a class in my workstations. It makes it a lot easier. Also, go to www.drjean.org and look at her ideas for workstations (go to activities, then find the months with razzle dazzle). She has great ideas! I also have to recommend Debbie Diller's book Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work . It has some really great ideas.
    I hope this helps!

7. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I teach 4th so attention times are different (for most of my kiddos)

I rotate 2 small groups a day (groups see me 1-3 times a week depending on need)

for the first group (my lowest) all other students are engaged at their desk with seatwork (comprehensino checks, writing etc).

at the switch for the second group my first group does the seatwork and groups not seeing me go to workstations.

I create a publisher calendar for each partnership that rotates them through workstations. It takes me about 20-30 minutes at the end of a month (to get ready for the next month) and then I don't have to worry about it again.

8. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I have (and love) Debbie Diller's books: Making the Most of Small Groups and Practice wtih Purpose (which is workstations for 3-6grade)

Last year I was able to attend a double weekend conference with Pam one of her associates. I learned so much and would love to take more of her stuff.