Help with wardrobe

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by dko415, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dko415

dko415 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Looking for some help and suggestions. I am a male starting a second career as a teacher. Next year will be my first year. I have spent 20 years in the military and haven't had to worry about anything wardrobe related. The district where I will be working seems to have a business casual dress code. What are some of the basics I should start getting to make up my wardrobe. I really have no fashion sense and any advice would be appreciated. My typical off duty wear is jeans and a hoodie. I'm not even sure how to match clothes together.

How are teachers generally expected to dress? I figure if I start buying things now I can look for sales and not spend a lot.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 4, 2008

Our male teachers usually wear some type of slacks (brown, black, blue, tan, etc...), and a nice shirt. Button-up shirts, polo shirts, even pullovers on top of a nice collared shirt would work.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 4, 2008

You might even think about investing in some different types of shirts with the school logo on them. Those are usually good to wear anytime. We have a printing shop that keeps our logos on hand for any employees.

5. Colleen12

Colleen12 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

You sound just like my dad! His "work clothes" which would probably be totally appropriate are khaki pants, if you're heavier they can have pleats, but not if you are very skinny. Just about any color shirt (except tan) will go with the khaki pants. Dress shirts and button up golf shirts will probably be most appropriate. Black or brown shoes are fine with this outfit. So are sweaters, again, just about any color. The school logo shirts suggested above would also be very nice with the pants.

6. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Feb 4, 2008

Hey, someone like me! I wore shorts to work for 23 years. (It was my own business)
    I go to a store such as Sears, and buy the same clothes the maniquins are wearing! They are dressed by professionals, so it's good enough for me. :lol:

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2008

Dockers or other khakis in several colors
    Button-up shirts, any pattern or color
    Rugby-style shirts, any color

I recommend hitting up places like Sears, JCPenny's, and Old Navy.

You should also invest in some school attire, like t-shirts and hoodies with a picture of the mascot or the school motto or something...you can probably wear those every single day with jeans!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 5, 2008

Don't be afraid of a nice button shirt with a tie. Look at the mannequins in JC Penney. I know when the male teachers we have actually wear a tie, they just seem a bit more professional. It's better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

I have this picture in my mind of a professor I work with who is totally hopeless when it comes to dressing. He wears black jeans and a plain colored polo shirt with black sneakers EVERY DAY. We call it his uniform, but it's professional enough and comfy.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2008

I think the best thing to do is to see how the teachers at the schools you want to work in dress. Then pick a style in the middle.

The teachers in the schools I have worked in have worn everything from jeans and sneakers to sports coat and tie. I would not recommend the jeans and sneakers. It is best to dress at least one level above those you are teaching. It gives you a little credibility and possibly a little respect out the gate. I would pass on the other end of the scale, too. Go for the middle of the scale and you should be fine.

I wear tan chinos, a button down dress shirt, and brown leather shoes most days. Think L.L.Bean...

Note that some schools might warrant a bit better dress than others. You might be able to get by with jeans and sneakers at a typical inner city public school, or even shorts. Or, you might have to wear a tie everyday, even at a public academy in a bad neighborhood.

11. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 5, 2008

I usually wear a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt to school every day. On special occasions I will wear a tie.The shoes should be comfortable as you will probably be on your feet a lot.
    On the days when I wear a sport jacket for parent day or special visitors I get the most compliments from the children in my school.The best thing might be to see how the other male teachers in your school dress.