Help with WA state endorsement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sdteacher619, Sep 28, 2012.

1. sdteacher619

sdteacher619 New Member

Sep 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Washington from California and I am working on getting my certification set up here. I completed a multiple subject credential program in CA in 2008 and received my multiple subject credential. Later, in 2009, I took the necessary class and test in order to get an additional mathematics credential in California. I was hoping to get both elementary education and mathematics endorsements in WA, but so far they have only conditionally approved the elementary ed.

It appears to me that they can't process my math certification because I did not complete a full program for that credential. It looks like the only way you can get an endorsement added is to have a school verify that you completed a program, but since I didn't have to do that to get the math credential in CA, I am stuck.

I really don't want to have to complete a whole separate set of classes and tests in order to get the mathematics certificate. Does anyone know of any way to satify their requirements using California certification?

Thanks.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

You could teach in a private school. I know our school has a teacher with a CA certificate (she teaches PE).

Washington is pretty strict about this. I wanted to get a Humanities and Social Studies credential (I have elementary ed) and the hoops were too huge for me, and I have 9 years of teaching. They were going to require me to do a 6 week student teaching again, in the content area. I teach 2nd grade and my school only goes to 5th. There was nothing I could have done to qualify for the credential, even if I passed the test and took the courses!

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 29, 2012

I would suggest contacting someone at OSPI to discuss your exact situation. Washington state is pretty stringent on thier requirements for certification, but I know of many teachers that came from California that have been able to teach in WA, so I would say there must be a way to get things transferred properly.

When I went to get an endorsement, I had to take a few classes and take the Praxis test for that area. I didn't have to do extra time in classrooms, because I was subbing at that level. Maybe something like that can be arranged for you as well. Call someone at OSPI -- they can look at the details of your situation and see what works.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

Sorry! I cant offer help, but I can offer you a welcome!:)

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 29, 2012

I feel your pain in reverse. I have a WA credential but not all of it transferred to CA. So even though I have endorsements in Psychology in WA I cannot get that endorsement in CA because they do not offer it.