Help with Theme....!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach12, Jul 16, 2010.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 16, 2010

I teach at a catholic school and our school-wide theme this year is "Going Above and Beyond With God"....I wanted to tie my classroom theme in with that using hot air balloons..but..have not had any luck finding things to go along with that. Any other suggestions??? I have thought of outer space too, but that doesn't really excite me...ha! Thanks in advance!

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

Staples had a really cute hot air balloon border...and the dollar tree has balloon cutouts.

Soaring to new heights in ____ grade

I saw a cool set in Really Good Stuff with rock climbers that said "Setting Our Sights on Reaching New Heights"

Good luck!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I have been posting a lot of ideas on my blog about easy/cheap ways to customize your room to any theme. The link is in my signature.

I think you could do a lot with a space theme too and it could be very cute.

5. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

"Over the rainbow" ??? there are tons of materials (borders, etc) with rainbows!

6. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Hmmmmm on second thought, maybe not the best choice??? Excuse my naivety, rainbows and religion, possible conflict there...... woops! :dunno:

7. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I actually think I really like the rainbow idea, and I had definitely not thought of that before!! I don't know about a possible conflict...if so, would be a surprise to me! Thanks for the idea!

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I like the over the rainbow theme too! And you can do a lot of simple stuff with colors then.

The rainbow simply represents a convenent with God not to destroy the world. There is a lot that you can pull in to your religion classes around this. You can also use this to ensure that your classroom is a "green classroom" and talking about ways to respect our environment.

Not sure what grade you are teaching but if you have helpers you can make an easy bulletin board of "colorful helpers" with each job listed on a crayon.

And a little quote: "Individually we are all different
    but together we make a beatuiful rainbow."

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Actually, rainbows are mentioned in the story of Noah's Ark. No conflict. :cool:

mom2mikey, love the quote and idea.:)

You could also have a rainbow board with doves and put all the children's names on the doves with mikey2mom's quote and welcome. Then you could later hang them from the ceiling after they put a self portrait on one side and write the theme on the other.

10. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I am so glad I posted asking for help...thanks ladies for the great rainbow ideas...I think I may have found my theme!!

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Maybe you will post an update of how it all came together! (I love to see classrooms)

12. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Me too. I'm excited about your theme... and one more idea... you can do incentives by having kids fill their "pots of gold" :).

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

P.S. I too work in a Catholic school athough where I'm from our Catholic schools are actually public schools (funded equal to public schools and no tuition for students).

14. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

:love: Oh! I am glad that the rainbow theme will work for you! :hugs:

15. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 18, 2010

I love the idea of the bulletin board with mom2mikey's quote...however...I have a pretty small board where I would want to put it and don't think I could fit all that in. I am going to have the welcome board with two big white clouds and pots of gold with their names written...then on the first day they are going to trace and cut out handprints on different colored paper and we are going to use those to create the rainbow....so....now I need a catchy (and fairly short) slogan to go on the board. I like incorporating that we are all different, etc...okay, let's brainstorm!!!!