Help with the Rica (Domain I, IV) please?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by superkev31, Jul 10, 2009.

1. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Hello, I took the Rica like 4 times and I failed. The last time I took was last year and I received a 77 on it. I did well on my case studies. However, I noticed that I usually had difficulties with Domain I (Planning and Organizing Reading Instruction Based on Ongoing Assessment) and Domain IV (Supporting Reading Through Oral and Written Language Development). For Domain I & IV, I notice that I had difficulties in identifying which tests are appropriate to assess the student to plan better reading instruction. Furthermore, I also have problems with determine the grade level those tests are design for.

Since there are so many tests out there to assess a student(besides IRI, Running Records, Yopp Singer), can someone please suggests to me which other tests I should look over? any other helpful tips/suggestions to study for the RICA would also be great. Thank you very much.

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

PM me as I have a study guide that I made when I took the RICA

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2009

Please note that RICA is now somewhat differently arranged as of the August exam (and score reports afterward are likely to be delayed while passing scores are set). The new test specifications can be downloaded from the RICA Web site: http://www.rica.nesinc.com/RC_preparation_materials.asp

I rather think the rearrangement won't hurt you, though, superkev.

5. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

@ vsimpkins - thank you =)

@ TeacherGroupie - Hi teachergroupie, any suggestions/advices on the Rica that you can offer me for domain I, IV, or any other rica advice? thanks in advance.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2009

Download the new test specification doc and use it as a guide: make sure that you know and can use in a sentence any technical term that shows up on it.

If you've got questions about those terms, post 'em here: maybe we can get a good discussion going.

7. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

@TeacherGroupie, yah I downloaded that guide, it was helpful =)

Actually, I do have a question, I was looking over the Cliff Note's book on the RICA, and I remember they had a question on how a teacher can assess students reading comprehension. Then for their answer to that question, they said by "Informal Assessment" which were the Observation of student, Retelling by student, and the Student's writing. Furthermore, the teacher can also "Assess Formally" by Chapter Comprehension, Running Records, and CLOZE type tests. My question is, would assessing the student's reading comprehension by Chapter Comprehension, Running Records and CLOZE type tests be considered Formal Assessment or Informal Assessment?

I'm pretty sure I read over several other guides by different authors and they all said CLOZE, Chapter Comprehension, and Running Records as Informal Assessment while Formal Assessments are tests like CAT 6/SAT 9/ Norm Referenced and Percentile Scores . So now I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

To some extent it depends on exactly how the assessment is done: teacher-developed assessment materials, such as chapter questions you wrote yourself, would be part of informal assessment, whereas assessment materials that are purchased (and presumably are standardized) are part of formal assessment.

By the way, you're capitalizing too much: use cloze, running records, formal assessment, norm-referenced, percentile scores.

9. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Thanks teachergroupie, that's very helpful.

Yah, I did the capitalization thing to make those stand out from the rest since I wrote a lot. Thanks again though! I appreciate it.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

You're welcome, kev. Bottom line is that you want to look like one of those in the know, not one of those not in the know...

11. certaintea

certaintea New Member

Aug 17, 2009

RICA

Hello,

I am studying for the RICA and hoping to take the exam in October. I would like to ask for your help! Would you be willing to share your study guide with me? What is your advice in preparing for the RICA and what books did you use to study for the RICA?

Thanks!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, certaintea! Are you in a credential program in California or are you coming in with a license from another state, or what?

13. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Hi certaintea, if it's anyhelp, I studied for the rica using the Cliffnotes Rica book as well as the study guide questions on the rica website and the case studies book by joanne rossi. A lot of people also used the Ready for the Rica book by James Zarillo. Anyway, wish me lucks on my last rica exam! and goodlucks for your upcoming Oct. Rica exam certaintea.

14. certaintea

certaintea New Member

Aug 28, 2009

Hi Teacher Groupie,

I am in an on line credential program in California through National University. The only exam left for me to take is the RICA. I am so nervous about this exam. I am aware that as of of August 2009, the RICA exam was revised. Currently there are no prep book available for the new exam format. Can you give me any advice as to how to prepare for this revised exam?

Thank you!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2009

Hmmm. Have you had your reading instruction/literacy methodology coursework yet?

16. norcal55

norcal55 New Member

May 1, 2010

Hi I am going to be taking the RICA too and I am unable to PM you.. could you try to send me your study guide?? Do you have any advice you could share with me??

17. kwirz

kwirz New Member

Sep 21, 2010

Please help as well

I am about to take the rica for the 3rd time and it has been over a year. I lost hope for this a while back and started working in a new career and started working in another career. I need help because I am a horrible test taker...

18. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 21, 2010

Kwirz,

I understand completely. I am the queen of the CSET (took it almost 15 times). I did take the RICA only twice. I am also a terrible test taker. Keep the faith and don't give up. I live in Santa Clarita, where are you?