Help with teaching money

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Giggles1100, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I have a fairly high functioning Autistic student with Marfsans Syndrome whom I thought could count money, well he can count paper money and pennies, but when we come to other coins he cannot get it, he can tell you a nickle is 5 cents or a dime is 10 cents thand that is equivalent to 5 or 10 pennies, but when I give him 2 nickles and lay out 10 pennies on top he can tell me that those 2 nickles equal 10 cents but when I go back and ask him what a nickle equals he then says 10 cents. Then he starts getting frustrated because I think he wants to know how to do it, and he is fine if I give him nothing but pennies.

Any suggestions, on another way to teach this, OH BTW, he can tell you 2 $5 bills is $10 or 3 is $15 and then a $5 is 5 dollars so he understands it with paper, or else just that much I did not try him over 3 5's.

I just need a website or another way to teach him that would help, I tried the calculator, counting change with 5 pennies over each nickle and even some worksheets which did not help. I need another alternative to try on Monday morning before we both cry! :)

3. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 16, 2006

Touch Math

I had a couple of second graders last year that just couldn't count money so I taught them touch math and it helped. Basically you teach them to touch a nickle 1 time, a dime two times, and a quarter five times. They can draw dots on the coins and then count by fives. I don't know if this will help but you might try and see. I am sure there are web sites on this method. :)

4. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I do not know if he can count by 5's I guess I should try that first, does he need to know how to count by 5's first, I think I could teach him that relatively easy if he does not know how, which I am thinking he might have a little knowledge but not a good working knowledge of counting by 5's

5. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 16, 2006

Yes this only works if he can count by fives.

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 16, 2006

Touch Math might be an option, as was suggested.

I taught one of my students to match the coins to their written denominations (using this format: penny is $0.01, nickel is $0.05, etc.). At the same time, I taught him to use a calculator incorporating a decimal (lots of drill and practice). Once he had mastered both skills separately, I combined them, having him mentally recall the formatted value of each coin and then add them using the calculator.

Decimals are very abstract and can be very confusing to all children, but particularly those with autism (although your student sounds like he has a great skill base to pull from).

They do have money calculators available commercially--depending on the age of your student, you might try using these for drill/practice/reinforcement. They were really motivating to my students, but I used them selectively so they wouldn't become a crutch.

Sorry if none of that was helpful! Good luck, let us know what kind of progress you make!! :D

7. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Very good question. I hope you find a way to teach him to count money. So many special kids can't, and they go through their whole time in school still not knowing to. GOOD LUCK TO YOU !

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 18, 2006

Good1, you make a lot of blanket statements about what students in special education learn. I was wondering if you work in the school system or are you basing your comments on special needs children that you know?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 18, 2006

Giggles1100, I love touchmoney!

10. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 18, 2006

Proud, I am looking into the touch money I went through their catalog today, do you know of any sites that maybe have touch money worksheet I could use just to try it on him or should I just enlarge some coins and try it, although I am not sure what all the touch points are onthe coins, i am sure I can find something online, unfortunately my student was out today so I could not even try the coinulator on him.

Thanks for all the info guys!

11. ying and yang

ying and yang Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

Hi Giggles,

I am new and may not be moving around the forum correctly. However, I did not find a reply to your question on websites with touch money worksheets. Did you find any. I am also searching for the same thing. I have used this method in another school system and love it. If you were able to find any worksheets I would love to know where. Thanks, Ying and Yang

12. kryzedon

kryzedon New Member

Oct 22, 2006

I use 100 charts with my 1st graders. They begin by placing the largest coins first, etc (ie: 1st quarter on 25, second on 50, then a dime on 60, and so on) This may or may not help you but it does work with first graders.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 22, 2006

14. ying and yang

ying and yang Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Thanks

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll put it to use today.

Ying and Yang

15. ying and yang

ying and yang Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I wonder though, do you give them a plain black and white chart or do you color code some way for skip counting by 25, 10, and 5?

Ying and Yang

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 26, 2006

I color code my counting by 100, pocket chart. My friend just drew different color circles around the numbers on a paper chart. The counting by 5s numbers had red circles, the counting by 10s had blue circles and the counting by 25s had blue circles. The number 10 had a red and blue circle around it, the number 50 had red, blue and green circles around it.... You may find it easier to have a separate chart for each one and once they can count by 5s, 10s and 25s you could make one chart for a visual in your classroom.

I do use individual black/white charts for the students. I give them the chart with all of the numbers and the counting by 5's, 10's or 25s numbers are left out and they must fill it out. I also give them charts with all of the numbers included and they have to color the counting by 5s a certain color....

17. ying and yang

ying and yang Rookie

Oct 27, 2006

Thanks again

18. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Nov 1, 2006

Do you have any more of the touch moey things from the beginning that you can scan in? To show?

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2006

I will see what I can do the next couple of days. I will try to scan a couple of things in by Friday. Did you want some sample worksheets starting at where they are taught the touchpoints (you could easily make these yourself) or are you looking for the worksheets where the touchpoints are/are not drawn on them?

20. ying and yang

ying and yang Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

I am looking for the worksheets. Thanks

21. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 2, 2006

OK I have decided to teach counting by 2's and 5's instead to see if that gets them where I need them I will try that 100's Chart. Iw as so excited, I got my most recent K-1st mailbox and it covered money, had a big section on it. I just sat down to read it to get some great ideas to try today and darn it all if I had not already tried some form of everything mentioned in the magazine. I am at my wits end and am begining to think that this kid is 20, he has learned all he is going to learn. And Iknwo that is wrong to think that but after 3 intensive weeks ontryingto teach him it, I am lost.

22. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 2, 2006

What kind of authentic situations do you anticipate this student needing to count mixed amounts of change in?

I'm just wondering, if he has a structured activity, you may be able to get around the actual skill and teach an alternate strategy like a jig or calculator. For example, I had a student who ALWAYS purchased the same item from a vending machine or ALWAYS used the same bus route. We could use a jig for him to obtain the correct amount so that we could focus our attention on other important skills.

Good luck!