Help with teaching grammar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by crunchytxmama, Sep 4, 2011.

1. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 4, 2011

My current grammar routine is Mini-lesson, some kind of guided practice with the students coming to the board or using white boards, then the students do an independent practice worksheet. I also look at that grammar skill in their writing that week.

What I'm doing isn't effective with the kids I teach. They get it when I teach it and we're doing guided practice, but aren't transferring it to their worksheet or their writing. They take way too long on the worksheets, and it cuts into their Daily 5 time, which I think is more important. I prefer activities that are authentic as much as possible, and I don't really use worksheets for any other subject. Any suggestions on how I can do a better job teaching this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

Can you do within the context of writers workshop? For example, -Ed endings during narratives, adjectives when writing poetry, sentence structure in most units...

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

Try Grammar Punk! I've only ever used the high school one, but it's really good!

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2011

Two ideas that I like that I use.

1. I have a box of inexpensive musical instruments. I have them work in partners working out the first part of the worksheet. Then if I teach adjectives, I assign certain students to be the nouns, verbs, and adjectives. (Use 2 groups for review and one for the lesson (adjectives). When I read a word in the sentence that is a noun all the nouns play their bells, when I read an adjective all the students pound their drums. They usually really want to get it right so this has helped with fun and their scores.

2. Grammar hospital. This idea has been around 40 years, but it is a classic that works. Get a mom who is a nurse to get surgical masks. Let the children know they are in training and if they pass their Dr. Grammar Certification they will be able to operate on sentences with terrible diseases such as capitalizationitis, commasitis, and others. When they pass their tests they will get their masks whick will allow them to operate as a doctor sentences on the board. For upper grades, I have seen desks and tables made into pretend operating tables. With a little imagination and fun, you are sure to succeed. :)

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

Love this idea...where can one find INEXPENSIVE musical instruments?

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2011

I love the hospital idea, but I am always hesitant to expose them to grammatical and spelling errors. I stopped doing DOL for this reason. I just felt that those who already knew it could find the mistakes and those that couldn't do it were just reinforcing possible errors in their minds.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2011

One place to get cheap musical instruments is amazon.com. For $28.99 you can get 6 instruments. Okay, this isn't exactly cheap if you buy 4 or 5 boxes. Possibly you can get PTA or maybe the school to purchase them. Instruments do last and can be used for a lot. I tend to use the musical percussion instruments we have at school. Our primary teachers have some they don't use. I have found teachers are great at sharing with other teachers.

9. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

I, too, am required to teach certain grammar skills every week. It's so much easier to master using these skills in isolation on a worksheet than it is to apply the skills to actual writing.

I've found daily editing REALLY effective. Either prescribed DOL worksheets or handmade ones are equally good. My students get practice using the skills in real writing samples and are more likely to write and edit and apply these skills.

10. graysea_10

graysea_10 Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

Make them!!! Water bottles with macaroni. Plastic easter eggs with lentils (small beans). Paper towel rolls to bang together. Or at the dollar store they have different types of things you could "make" some instruments out of.