Help with teaching a struggling reader

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by DelvianBlue, Aug 22, 2021.

1. DelvianBlue

DelvianBlue New Member

Aug 22, 2021

Hello,

I came across this forum while looking for ways to help a student and I'm hoping someone might have some ideas or experience. I'm a high school science teacher, but found out recently one of my ninth graders starting school this week is functionally illiterate. He's been on an IEP for years and no one knows why he can't read, except that he seems to have no retention for it. His family is very supportive and involved, but even the special ed program is starting to think it's time to move on from learning to read to basic survival skills.

The problem is, I'm still expected to teach him physical science, and next year, biology. I work at a very small school that has only one special ed person to service the entire high school. She can only meet with him once per day and I am expected to meet all of his accommodations on my own. We have no classroom aides, no personal aides, no real resource room, etc. Does anyone have ideas on how I can help this person learn this year?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2021

Does the student just have a severe reading disability or does he have a low IQ or low listening comprehension?

Does he have assistive technology and training on the technology for you and the student? All written text should be in a format a text reader can read to him. He should also have speech to text so that he can get his thoughts into written format. But this may only work if he is capable of understanding at the grade level of the text that he is provided.

As for accommodations, without knowing what they are, it is hard to tell you what you can do to implement his accommodations without additional support.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 22, 2021

The Special ed program needs to step up and do their job. Giving up isn't what they are called to do. I have seen students with 2nd grade reading skills in 9th grade who learn to read. Let me tell you it is possible and it takes a lot.

a2z is right that you have to gather far more information on this child. Then find out what has been tried. It isn't rocket science. Have the child read a 100 word passage in your book and you'll see what is lacking..is it phonics? vocabulary ?context clues? etc. Find out what has been tried in special ed. Then, I would start with what a2z said. Have written text in text reader where it is read to him. I would also insist he follows along word by word so he can pick up on some new words. I have seen this done a lot with ESL students who are years behind and it helps. Plus he gets the content he needs for your class. Lots more still to do, but it is a beginning. Please don't give up on this child. It sounds like too many have done that already.