Help with Task-Based Language Teaching activity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OhioTeacher216, Nov 21, 2020.

1. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Nov 21, 2020

Hi!,

I am an Ohio teacher working on my TESOL endorsement through a university in Ohio. I am working on a paper and am having a difficult time coming up with a task-based language activity for my 'students' to complete for my paper. I have some in mind, but for the paper purpose, I think they are too complex. My district has a very limited ELL population and we work with our local ESC for services. Additionally, we are remote and my contacts are quite limited.

If anyone works with ESL kiddos, and can think of any task-based language teaching activities that are not as difficult, please let me know. Right now, I am thinking of either planning a birthday party or following a recipe. Something that incorporates reading/math, etc. Thank you!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2020

You have a great idea with the recipe! I just got through a refresher SIOP course, and I think that activity would hit most of the language goals. Make sure you have something that will include a deep preview of the vocabulary (maybe watching a YouTube video of kids cooking and talking to each other) as well as non-verbal cues for the directions (pictures of the ingredients and tools needed).