Help with students (sorry so long)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by taryn_liz, Jan 24, 2010.

1. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

This is my first year teaching, and I've exhausted everything I know to do with two of my students. One student has been diagnosed ADHD, and has been put back on meds after mom took him off. They are trying to get his dose where it needs to be, but all year he has been very unfocused, and refuses to do anything. He will often run around the room, wander around the room, he has broken my pointer, drawn with a marker on our Smartboard, purposefully breaks pencils and crayons, draws on other students assignments, and refuses to work unless an adult is right there to help him. He is now going to our VP once an hour if he earns a sticker on his behavior chart for that hour, but even then only earns about 2-3 a day. He will purposely hit, kick, poke kids, and has even pulled a chair out from behind a girl as she was sitting down. Mom this year has been moving from friend to friend's house, and her and dad are an off and on thing. I simply don't know what to do with him anymore.
    Then there's my other kid. He has learned since Christmas that, if he's bad enough, he will get a sticker chart and get to go to the VP's and get little treats. So now he is being obnoxious, rude, backtalking, refusing to comply with simple rules, and not working at all. I have no clue what to do with either student anymore, have asked several colleagues who have no advice either, and really no parental support with either child. Any ideas are very welcome!

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

What age is this?

4. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

oops sorry...1st grade