help with student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 12, 2008

I teach 2nd and I have a student who reads on a kindergarten level. She is also very slow to start work and if I am going over an whole group assignment where I have the students answer orally then write the answer down she usually wont write anything. I will give directions two or three times and she will say "what are we doing"? I cannot sit by her every minute of the day and hold her hand through everything. I think she should have been retained in first grade. She went to another school last year so I cant ask the teacher how she did last year. She goes to early intervention twice a week but so far it is not helping and she is missing class time for this. Any suggestions on how I can help her or get her to be more focused?

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 12, 2008

Refer her for as much extra help she can get. Refer her to guidance and see if she has a learning disorder. Contact the parents and discuss the situation with them. Since there is a good chance the child will be retained at the end of he school year make sure the parent is aware of the situation. Can you get one of the more reliable children to help her with her work? She is probably so slow getting started because she knows she will not have much success on her task.

4. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I would definitely refer her for testing to see if there is a learning disorder. As far as not being able to sit by her every minute....def. understandable. I feel the same about some of my kids. Can you put another kid in the class beside her to be her buddy and help her out? Someone that you know will help her but not give her the answers.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

I agree. It sounds like you have put a lot of interventions in place. I would make a list of the things you have done even if they didnt work for her. Talk to her parents and let them know tha tyou have some concerns about her progress. Let them know that you have put a lot in place for her etc. Ask them about last year.
    YOu might also want to consult with your PPS team (I amnot sure what they call it in your district but I mean the one that you go to with concerns).