Help with student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 5, 2016

I have an autistic student who is having a lot of challenges in the regular ed classroom.. He started out manageable at the start of the year and now his behavior is affecting the entire class. His behaviors are: screaming (screeching so people down the hallway can hear), kicking, throwing things, and really refusal to do any work at all.
    I use a ton of visuals, social stories, calming strategies but they now seem to be ineffective in stopping the behavior. He also earns tokens and rewards and takes many breaks throughout the day.
    I know behaviors come and go but what can I do in the moment to stop this? It's extremely disruptive to the rest of the class and it isn't the situation where I can ignore the screaming.. It just isn't fair to the other students.
    I would appreciate advice or if you know any good books on autistic children in the classroom I'd appreciate recommendations! Thanks!

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2016

Does he have any sort of aide or are you it?

4. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 7, 2016

It's me! And some days it's not a problem on other days it's unbearable!

5. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Oct 7, 2016

Unfortunately I don't have any advice. I'm following this thread closely though because I'm in a very similar situation this year.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2016

I am assuming he has an IEP... Sounds like the team may need to reconvene and consider a different placement or added supports. With all of those interventions already in place, I'm not sure what else you can do all by yourself.

Newkindermom likes this.
  7. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Oct 7, 2016

I have an autistic student as well. However, his behaviors are nothing compared to what you've mentioned. His worst behavior is getting out of his seat and pacing back and forth in the classroom. He is new to our school last year and wasn't diagnosed until the year before that (3rd grade).

How old is your student?

8. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 7, 2016

Thanks for your responses.. It is a first grade student. I am hoping he just matures and learns to manage his emotions better as the year goes on. I don't know how they can have a student in a regular ed classroom doing this. He has difficulty with completing any work independently without screaming, but does really well for 1-1 or in a very small group instruction with me or special ed teacher. I don't understand why districts want to force inclusion like this.. I had a very similar situation last year as a teacher. I did the best I could all year and ultimately the student went to a sub separate classroom, for some students that's what is best at the time for them (and others) to be able to.. Oh. I don't know.. LEARN!

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2016

I had the same exact issue a few years ago so I can feel your pain, exhaustion and complete utter frustration. Only mine was not diagnosed. So nothing really could be done. I don't really have any help for you because i never could find the right thing for my student. I tried being nice, i tried being harsh, I tried the principal, i tried the family, I tried the ignore. NOTHING worked. i felt like such a failure that year, I wanted a transfer but the people in charge said NO! I am not sure how those kids learned but they did. Not sure how much but they learned. I am soooo sorry I can't help but just know you are not alone. PM me if you want to vent. I will totally get it!

Newkindermom likes this.
  10. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

Thanks for sympathizing with me! I also had a very difficult student last year as well and felt like this year I was in for a nice easy, relaxing year.. Lol. I guess the good news is that we only have them for one year and we can just do the best we can at the time. Thanks!