Help with struggling 6th grader in reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, Sep 15, 2021.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 15, 2021

Hi! My neighbor just approached me and said his 6th grade son struggles with reading. He says he has about a 3rd grade reading level. He wants to find help for him. I’ve been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years so past sounding out words, I don’t have expertise in this. Plus I’m so busy with my own little ones so I wouldn’t be much help.

Does anyone know of any online tutoring programs that works help with this?

3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 15, 2021

First step is to figure out what's the problem. Vision? Hearing? Cognitive processing? At 6th grade, he likely already know nearly all his sounds.

If there's nothing physically or emotionally wrong with the boy, he might just need lots and lots and lots of practice. So a tutor might lure him into stories with buddy reading and other strategies,

nstructor likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2021

If the boy hasn't been evaluated by the school child study team, that should definitely be step one. If he has, and already has an IEP, back to the CST to find out if there is more that can be done, including more testing, and looking at things like audio books.

5. AZ Adoptive Momma of 2

AZ Adoptive Momma of 2 Rookie

Sep 19, 2021

I would agree with some sort of evaluation or assessment on basic reading skills. In order to help the student, they need to know where the holes are so they can be plugged. Based on his reading level, there are probably several early literacy skills that are not in place. I'd encourage the parent to go to the school and talk to them about some sort of assessment to check for reading foundation skills, similar to the ones you teach. The family can then look for what online resources they can use. I am trying to put a link to an article, but it won't let me. The article is How to reach older struggling students by Christine Pitts on February 18, 2020.