Help with strategies for counting/writing 11-19?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Lanie, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

Help! I have always had kiddos who have difficulty counting and writing the numbers 11-19 because they don't sound the same as most of the following numbers. However, this year, I have at least 1/3 of my class that I am not reaching. I need new strategies for counting and writing numbers (in sequence and in isolation) for 11-19. I would love your ideas or even links to printables, file folder games, worksheets, flash cards, etc. Anything you can share would be helpful!

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 30, 2010

Thanks Lanie for posting this question.

I would love some ideas too. My class is having a hard time with these numbers this year too. The numbers 12, 13 and 15 are giving them the most trouble. Any ideas?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 30, 2010

Mine are struggling with 11-25 and the reason is because in sign language the numbers for 11-19, 21, 23, and 25 are not the same as they are for the other numbers in logical sequence. 21-25 is actually tougher for my students than 11-19.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 31, 2010

we talk about 11 and 12 not following the rules and that all the other numbers that start with 1 are called "teens" and then it's just practice practice practice

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2010

It is a difficult concept for them. I always stress the first part of the number when I say it like FOURteen, FIFteen, SIXteen, as I point to the number. Then they get it. 11 and 12 are confusing, tho! Also, integrate math into your other subjects, stressing those teen numbers whenever you see or hear them! :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

I don't know anything about teaching Ks, but from teaching math to older elem and middle school, I would stress that you spend a lot of time ensuring that the kids have the concept that these double digit numbers are 10 + numbers - that the 1 stands for one ten. Demonstrate, demonstrate, demonstrate. One huge gap for older elem students is a fuzzy grasp of place value. You can make a big difference in the early elem years that will help them for years to come.

8. olamide

olamide New Member

Feb 1, 2010

Help on Ec4 texes exam

I am going to take the computer base Ec4 texes test this month
    can you please let me know the website l can find the pratice test for computer base test or any other pratice test that can help me to pass the Ec4 exam.Thank you.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 1, 2010

I've done this for 2 weeks now. I realize they are only 5. I'm going to have to drop back and reintroduce it later in the year on this concept.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

I know this sounds terrible, but I made tens frames flash cards. We drilled every day, twice a day, that here's 12. One full ten frame, and 2 more is 12. We did that for several months, and everyone could count to all the numbers up to 20, and recognize instantly values up to 20 in a tens frame.

We also played counting games, did art, counted our snack, etc. It really took from November until late April for everyone to get there. But then, I had kids who didn't know anything when they came to school.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

That is excellent! I think the ten frame is really the solution to best developing early childhood number sense and students comfort level with numbers in general. I think the ten frame is key. Putting these teen numbers into form as ten and some more gives the kids the context necessary to build their number sense.

12. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Feb 2, 2010

I love the Heidi Songs for numbers www.heidisongs.com she has song that each each number for example First a 1 then 2 thats a 12, thats a 12, thats a 12

Each song is sung to a familiar tune and has motions to help the students remember.

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 2, 2010

Have you tried using a hundreds chart and illustrating why the teen numbers look like that? We do that everyday in kindergarten.