Help with spelling

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by educatorslp, Jan 17, 2012.

1. educatorslp

educatorslp New Member

Jan 17, 2012

I work in the schools and work with several students who are terrible spellers. I was mostly asking for myself and if there is anyway to help my son be a better speller. He is in the 6th grade and I worry about his future and also in high school. He spells phonetically and if there are words that you don't really hear a vowel sound he doesn't even put one in (ex. bird would be brd). Any suggestions would be great.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2012

Work with word families with your son to highlight patterns in words. Also, help him to use a computer program with word prediction software as he will probably struggle with spelling all his life.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2012

Spellingcity.com has some great activities.

5. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jan 17, 2012

He may benefit from some intensive phonics review. You may want to try reviewing with him vowel teams, r controlled vowels, and diphthongs. Also some mnemonic devices to remember irregularly spelled words may help.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

You might also consider Painless Spelling, which is published by Barrons. It's written for a middle-school audience, though mostly that means that it's unusually clear.

7. educatorslp

educatorslp New Member

Jan 18, 2012

Thank you

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try to gather some materials now.

8. Splenda

Splenda Rookie

Feb 13, 2012

Check out Spelling Power. One book fits all grades and spelling levels.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2012

Slight hijack: would any of those resources be appropriate for my 9 year old Kira?

10. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Feb 14, 2012

There are two things happening: Firstly, from the example you give, he is obviously hearing the single sounds in words. Secondly, and most importantly he needs to know that there can be numerous ways to spell the same sound.

Check out THRASS (Teaching Handwriting Reading and Spelling Skills) They have a website. THRASS is a phonemic based system that does NOT teach phonics. Basically, it teaches that SINGLE sounds can be written using a letter or combination of letters. For example: the word 'bird' consists of 3 sounds /b/ /ir/ /d/.

THRASS teaches the /ir/ sound can be spelt /ir/ as in bird, or /er/ as in fern (this is from memory). Check out their consonant and vowel phoneme posters.

The long /a/ sound can be:
    /a/ as in baby, /ai/ as in snail, /ay/ as in tray, /a_e/ as in tape, and a * which is a Grapheme Catch All (GCA). This includes any other way to spell that sound, so for higher up grades the GCA for a long /a/ would include /ey/ as in they and /eigh/ as in neighbour.

I teach 5 year olds and they really get counting phonemes in words. If your son can hear the SINGLE sounds then it is a step to making the right spelling choices.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2012

Spellingcity would.:cool:

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2012

Get a list of Dolch words (available online) and practice 5 words daily. If he, or anyone, masters the most common sight words, that will be helpful for his writing. Next, study words that change from short vowel sound to long vowel sound with the addition of a final silent e. Then, move on with the aid of a phonics program.

I am doing this with a 9 year old student I tutor and he has improved his skills quite a bit.