Help with Social Studies and Science

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by NC1stGradeTeach, Sep 20, 2009.

1. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

This is my first year teaching in a first grade classroom. I would love ideas from other first grade teachers on how you teach social studies and science. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreicated!!!

3. CandyKisses

CandyKisses Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Social Studies

Children learn more about families and how they live and work, in the United States and elsewhere; explore aspects of the economy such as jobs, transportation, stores and shops, income, spending, and saving; study the different cultures in their region; begin to learn the concepts of city, state, and nation; practice democratic processes such as making rules and decisions; learn inquiry skills such as becoming aware of a problem, knowing how to gain info, being able to organize and analyze information, and finding solutions.

They advance their study of geography by learning the four main directions and using maps. They learn how children lived in other times.

Science

Exploration of the natural world continues to be an important area of study. Children learn to focus their inquiries without a subject. The investigation of insects involve examining their characteristics, observing their activities, learning to recognize different variations, and noting differences and similarities; another common and fully engaging activity is following the stages of a butterfly's development. Another focus of investigation is the weather, including the seasons, cloud structures, the sun and the moon, and temperature. The study of magnets allows students to develop techniques of experimentation.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

Check and see what your state standards are. Every state is different then plan lessons according to that.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

I devote an hour each week to science and a lab. The rest of the week I integrate it into language arts lessons through read alouds. If you looked at my schedule, it would not have science or ss on it. There is a little * that explains that I teach it once a week and integrate it throughout the rest of the week. I have found that I simply skip it if I don't set aside an hour a week. It gives me time to do labs also.

Our kids also go to science lab with the science lab teacher every 8 days.

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I, too, found it difficult to fit science and social studies in. Usually during my center time, I have a center that is either science or social studies. (I have four centers each day. 1--Guided reading with me. 2--Math 3. Hands-on activity or art or listening center or big books or Smartboard. and 4. Science or social studies or seasonal theme.) I also do read alouds that fit with our "theme" which is often either a social studies or science tie in. Once in a while, I will do a big whole class science experiment as well. If you don't have time to do a whole separate activity, try to fit it in with what you are already doing. . .if you can! Good luck!

7. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

I don't teach both Science and Social Studies every day. I have a time blocked out for those subjects, but I will teach either Science or S.S. (or Health) during that time. For example, in September, I am doing a S.S. unit the whole month. In October, I will switch to one of my Science units. As long as I cover everything in the curriculum, it doesn't really matter how I schedule them. Seems to work best for me this way.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

I use about two hours for science and around half an hour for specific curriculum and lots of time in between on general social issues. In the science the district I work for has the Foss Kits and so I follow that curriculum.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2009

This is how we do it too, but I have a set curriculum that I must follow. Actually its more of a time line. We did social studies for two weeks and now its been science for the next few weeks.

10. collteach

collteach Comrade

Oct 4, 2009

I am doing a science unit, then a SS unit and rotating throughout the year. I am also trying to integrate science/SS into language arts and math as well. So far, I am still having trouble finding time to fit it all in, but since we have to give a science assessment in 2 weeks, I have no choice!

11. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 4, 2009

Wilbooks

We have included more science and math into our reading selections over the years. The kiddos love the non-fiction books we bought from Wilbooks and CTP.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

I'm in K and we do social studies until January, then go into the Science curriculum. We have it scheduled for 30 minutes every day. There are lots of ways to integrate art into Social Studies and Science, too!