Help with Severe/Profound

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Muffin39, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Muffin39

Muffin39 Rookie

Jul 20, 2016

Hello everyone!
    I am a first year teacher. I have a license in Severe disabilities and am teaching a severe/profound classroom which consists of 8 students. Their age range is 9-12.
    I have been there about 6 months now and am finally getting used to their routines as far as care. They are all medically fragile and toileting, positioning and changing equipment takes up most of our day. They all have multiple therapists coming and going all day long as well. Then there is feeding, some of them nap, etc. Little time is left for actual academics.

My school does not follow an actual curriculum for these classrooms, and as a result, I feel like I am free floating. At first it was nice because I was getting my bearings as a teacher, and my paras were excited to have a "break" from that kind of work. But I do not want a reputation as a teacher who does nothing. I want to do my job. But I feel like being in this job, in this setting, is making me lazy, as I am acting like an overpaid para because all we do is take care of the kids' needs.

Developmentally, my kiddos are in the 9-18mos range. I am having difficulty modifying even the most basic lessons to something they can do. Most do not point, grab or grasp, I rely mostly on eye gazing for choice making and even that has a 50% accuracy rate.

I do not want to quit this job, I actually like it a lot. But I want to actually teach. It is a small private school with 10 classrooms of varying age ranges and like I said, we do not follow any curriculum. Can anyone give me advice, tips, resources, point me in the direction of how I can get myself organized, create some interesting lessons and actually tackle doing academics in my classroom? Right now I do morning meeting, we have bathroom routines (tooth brushing, putting away pull ups) Then I break out some maipulatives and we work on counting, but I feel like I am just being repetitive and my staff is bored. We read books, I present wh questions, and I actually do quite a bit of science because I love that.
    I am trying to work more on individual iep goals but being short staffed makes individual or small groups difficult.

College does not prepare anyone on how to teach this population and I am starting to feel like I am failing. I want this to work!!

Thanks in advance!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2016

4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 1, 2016

I agree, take a look at Pinterest. I also found ideas from various blogs - The Autism Helper, The Autism Classroom, Delightfully Dedicated, Autism Adventures. I currently don't have any students in my class with autism, but those web resources have helped me tremendously.
    We do music with many activities.