Help with scheduling question....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by shrinkingviolet, Jan 11, 2006.

1. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Jan 11, 2006

I am hoping to get a long term substitute teaching position in February that would take me through the end of the year. My dear friend from high school is getting married in June, specifically the first weekend in June. She would like everyone to get there on Weds or Thursday. It is a long flight for me. So I would have to leave respectively Tuesday night or Weds night. My question is, Are there lock-out dates for personal time, etc for teachers in June? I really need this job, so I don't want to start by telling them I need three days off. Any ideas for how to handle this? Thanks so much.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 11, 2006

Personally, I wouldn't say a word until much closer to the time, after they have found out what a marvelous teacher you are.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 12, 2006

It all depends on the contract in the district. For example, where I teach we cannot take a personal day directly prior to or after a long week-end or any holiday break.

5. MNgirl

MNgirl Rookie

Jan 12, 2006

Would you be signing a contract or is it just a long term sub position? Where I live if you are a longterm sub you get payed teacher salary after 20 days of working, but if you miss a day you don't. So taking a day off would mean you get paid less. But it might be different in your district. But I agree with Upsadaisy, I wouldn't bring it up until after you have the job and they know you, they might be more inclined to work out arrangements for you. You might just have to make sure you have a sub cover for you. A sub for a sub:)

6. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

Thanks everyone!

I would be a long term sub. And after 20 days, they pay you teacher salary. I know that I wouldn't have the benefits of sick days or personal time being paid. I was just unsure as to whether or not I could actually get the days off before a weekend like that, especially since it's in June, toward the end of our school year. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will not say anything until the job is well underway.