HELP with RICA!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by dteach11, Jul 14, 2011.

1. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I have struggled with the RICA several times and don't know what else to do. I'm devastated about this because I can't seem to pass. It's heartbreaking because I know this test depends on whether or not I can begin my career. Please I need advice, strategies, anything that can help be overcome this challenge. :(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

What are you seeing on your score reports?

4. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Basically my scores have reflected different results. At the beginning I was scoring 4 pluses on my case studies now, it varies from 2-3 pluses. Same with the different domains. Scores are up and down. If its not one area it's another and it all varies :(. The following scores are from my last attempt:

Domain 1. ++
    Domain 2. +
    Domain 3. +
    Domain 4. ++
    Domain 5. +++

Case Study. ++ (Showed need for improvement in describing instructional strategies and/or activities)

So, as you can see my results are weak. Previously my scores had been better than this but I think that the more time that goes by the less my comprehension/memory of all the skills remains. Which book or resource do you believe reflects most accurately the material on the RICA?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

There's no such thing as the one best resource for any test - so much depends on what the test taker does and doesn't do.

Have you had reading instruction methodology coursework?

Have you already student taught? If so, what grades?

6. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Yes, I understand I guess I was just trying to see if there was something out there that can really help me out. I took my reading instruction methodology course few years back. The grades I taught were 2,3,4. Honestly, two of my experiences were extremely horrible. :(

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

Whether there's something that can help you out is a different question, dteach11. There probably is.

I'm sorry your student teaching experiences weren't good. Let's see if we can mine some gold from the dross, though. If you still have materials from your reading instruction coursework, rummage around in them for lists of terminology of the sort that shows up on RICA; for each term, associate it with something (preferably something positive) that you did or saw in the course of student teaching.

Which prep materials have you been using?

8. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I've used the Ready for Rica by Zarillo and the Cliff Notes. I heard that the best way would be to study the content specifications found online. I do have my material from my reading course and I have gone over some of that as well. Somewhere on one of the forums, I read someone had constructed a study guide for the RICA.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

The best way to study is whatever gets the terminology in your head so that you can use it convincingly.

So let's play a bit. What is a graphic organizer, and what is it good for?

10. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Thank you for that suggestion. I do believe the terminology is a big plus especially because they can tell whether or not you know what you are talking about. Well a graphic organizer can be used in different ways. It can help organize ideas, structure material, etc. KWL charts, brainstorming maps, Venn Diagrams are all examples of graphic organizers.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

You've got the seed of a good answer here: you very briefly explained what graphic organizers do and you gave some examples.

Notice, though, that I asked the questions in this order:

(1) What is a graphic organizer?

(2) What is it good for?

Answering in that order makes it clearer to the scorers that you're aware of and responding to the question as it stands, as opposed to just doing a brain dump on graphic organizers and hoping something's relevant. It's also wise to make a point of couching the response in RICA-relevant terms: how does a graphic organizer support reading instruction?

12. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Also make sure you only answer the question. If they want two strategies, then only give two strategies. Don't write about three or four. Also use Rica buzz words in your case studies. All they want is to see that you know your stuff. It is a hard test, but keep plugging away.

13. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

Yes, that is great that you point that out. Sounds like throwing in key words/strategies will be the difference between passing and failing on the case study/domains. I have tried several times and now I'm to the point of giving up :(. A part of me tells me to keep at it and another tells me that this is not for me. I enjoy working with children and I wouldn't see myself working anywhere else than with children. Thank you to those who have given me advice/strategies for improving and passing the RICA!

14. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

The RICA is a very hard test. I have seen people take the test a lot of times and still not pass. Buzz words are huge and so is just answering the question, so many times we feel we need to answer more then the question. The truth is you just have to keep studying and hope you get a test that you know most of the answers. There is so many domains and the test won't have every thing on it, so keep taking the practice test, and treat it like the real test. Take it all at one sitting then correct it. I would take a lot of practice test. The key sometimes is learning how to space your time. Just keep sticking with it, you came to far to quit now.

15. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

dteach11 if it help, i recommend studying the glossary at the back of open court TE if you can find one. It helped me. I took rica once but i gave the credit to the open court training and the TE i studied.

16. dteach11

dteach11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

Very interesting Doby. Where would I be able to find one? I really need some suggestions and advice about how to master this test once in for all. I know it's up to me but all the advice and suggestions would greatly help me accomplish that goal.

17. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

My school district use the Open Court Curriculum. The T.E {Teacher Edition} is what you need. I don't know if you have any district around you that use the Open Court Curriculum that will be a good place to start, or ask your local libraries. You might be lucky. I wish you luck.