Help with Resume

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by wanateac, Jun 8, 2006.

1. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 8, 2006

Hi to all of you struggling educators,

I am trying to get a teaching position via alternate route and have not gotten one interview call. I have my English CE and my Elementary Education CE. I'm ready to give up on this teaching thing! Do any of you feel that this is a waste of time or what?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2006

Hi, and welcome.

For what it's worth, I'm HS math-- a field that always needs teachers, and the calls haven't come in yet either. It's a regional thing... the districts here haven't gotten to it yet (other people from Long Island are reporting the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me!!)

Hang in there and pursue every lead you can!

4. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 8, 2006

Thank you Aliceacc, I am subbing until I get called but I don't think I'll ever get called. I've even applied to Private schools but their only looking for certified teachers!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2006

How about this approach: Sit down and write a list of all the things that make you the best candidate for the job. I'm assuming that you're alternate route because you've switched to teaching from some other profession. Make a list of all the transferable skills that another first year teacher would not possess, all the life experiences, all the tie-ins to extra curricular. (For example, let's say you worked in publishing. You're the ideal candidate to run the school newspaper or the 5th grade yearbook.)

Then compose a "Hi, remember me??" kind of letter and send it to all those people who have your resume. Remind them of what a valuable resource you would be-- this is NOT the time to be humble!! If school is still in session in your part of the country, consider offering to teach a demo lesson.

It couldn't hurt!!