help with resume, pleassseee

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 4815162342, Jun 2, 2015.

1. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 2, 2015

Okay, background info:
    For the past year I was a kindergarten teacher at a charter school. It was my first teaching job. I really liked it and planned on continuing another year, but I wasn't given a contract (even though we didn't do actual contracts because it was an "at will" school) because I did not pass my ESL certification in time. It was required at that school for all ELA teachers to have the certification.
    So that was a bummer, but maybe a blessing in disguise because I was driving 3 hours a day round trip to that school and that is a little crazy.
    Anyhoo, I am applying like a mad woman to jobs available in my area, but so far no calls or emails. I think the fact that I have a blegh resume is not helping me. So ideas/comments/advice?

Heather *****
    ADDRESS HERE
    123-456-7890 email here

Objective
    Seeking teaching position in which I can offer high dedication to student development and relevant educational needs.

Certification
    Generalist EC-6 Probationary Certificate valid until August 2015, Standard Certificate anticipated August 2015
    Web-Centric Alternative Certification Program- currently enrolled.
    TExES Content Exams Passed: Generalist EC-6, on 9/20/2013.

Education
    University Of Houston – Downtown- Houston, Texas
    Bachelor of Science Major in Interdisciplinary Studies Candidate- May 2013
    Lone Star College System- The Woodlands, Texas
    Completed coursework towards Associates of Arts, December 2011
    70 credit hours completed.

Work Experience
    School Name here Houston, Texas United States
    Kindergarten Teacher August 2014 – May 2015
    • Plan, evaluate, and assign lessons using Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs, and Eduphoria.
    • Introduce children to mathematics, language, science, and social studies.
    • Use games, music, artwork, films, books, computers, and other tools to teach basic skills.
    • Use play and hands-on teaching.
    • Teach letter recognition, phonics, numbers, and awareness of nature and science.
    • Maintain grade books and perform other administrative duties as needed.

Day care name here Houston, Texas United States
    Childcare worker December 2002 – December 2013
    • Maintain a safe play environment while observing and monitoring children’s play activities.
    • Communicate with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
    • Read to children and teach them simple painting, drawing, handicrafts, and songs.
    • Support children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
    • Identify signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and bring them to parents' or guardians' attention.

3. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 3, 2015

I am not any good @ critiquing resumes, other than I read to not bother with an objective statement, since it is obvious that you are looking for a job teaching.

4. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jun 3, 2015

Agree about the objective.

Try to make your bullet points much less generic, more specific.

Also, vary the verbs you have chosen from just "teach", "use" etc. You can google for lists of active verbs to use on resumes for help.

I am also a believer of using the past tense for past jobs but maybe that's a personal preference.

As a side note, the ESL supplement test is not difficult. I was able to pass with a pretty high score on my first try last month.

I studied using the study guide written by Patricia Morales (purchased on Amazon). The ESL is easier than the EC-6. It's probably worth your time to take it.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 3, 2015

If the coursework at the CC was folded into your BS, I would be inclined to delete that. It is awkwardly worded, and I doubt that you are going back to earn the AA?

Visit Blooms to beef up your verb selection, bullets, write less about the things that all licensed teachers should be able to do, write more about any proficiencies you have in various softwares, apps, tech, certifications such as CPR, PD that you have accomplished, workshops attended, and experience that may be outside of the box - maybe you have taught cheerleading, coached, etc.

Less is often more, which is why you lead with much stronger and varied action verbs that convey a lot in a few words. This resume is generic, and you want to be worth a second look.

I never make any bones about the fact that there are people out there who can craft resumes better than I can, therefore I have no problem telling people that I have my resume written by a pro. I COULD write it, but I would agonize over it, and it appeals to me to see what a pro would write, able to suggest tweaks, or ask for suggestions about why it is this way or that way. Buzz words change, the jargon is unique, and the pros have a very good idea of the phrasing that catches an administrator's eye and attention. I think it is money well spent, but that is my opinion. Some services are very good, some not worth much. Make sure you get a recommendation from someone who was very happy and won the interviews they were hoping for. The resume can't seal the deal, but a poor resume leaves you out in the cold.

There are people on this site who can give you help, but you would be remiss not to seek out the other existing threads discussing the same topic and see what has already been written.

Good luck.

6. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 3, 2015

what company do you suggest? I haven't thought of using a pro because I just assumed the wouldn't know the education jargon

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 4, 2015

Okay, thanks for the advice!!!
    I've been trying to tweak it a little to be better, but still keep it into one page.
    Here's an update:

Certification
    Generalist EC-6 Probationary Certificate valid until August 2015, Standard Certificate anticipated August 2015
    Web-Centric Alternative Certification Program- currently enrolled.
    TExES Content Exams Passed: Generalist EC-6, on 9/20/2013.

Education
    University Of Houston – Downtown- Houston, Texas
    Bachelor of Science Major in Interdisciplinary Studies Candidate- May 2013

Lone Star College System- The Woodlands, Texas
    70 credit hours completed.

Work Experience

School Houston, Texas United States
    Kindergarten Teacher August 2014 – May 2015
    • Plan, evaluate, and assign lessons using Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs, and Eduphoria.
    • Introduce children to mathematics, language, science, and social studies.
    • Combine games, music, artwork, films, books, computers, and other tools to teach basic skills.
    • Use play and hands-on teaching.
    • Teach letter recognition, phonics, numbers, and awareness of nature and science.
    • Maintain grade books and perform other administrative duties as needed.

School Houston, Texas United States
    Childcare worker December 2002 – December 2013
    • Produce a safe play environment while observing and monitoring children’s play activities.
    • Communicate with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
    • Read to children and teach them simple painting, drawing, handicrafts, and songs.
    • Support children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
    • Identify signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and bring them to parents' or guardians' attention.

Professional Development
    • Includes training on classroom management, Empowering Writers, GoMath, Rocket Math, ELPS, Sheltered Instruction, Math and ELA stations, Science Instruction Strategies, Balanced reading/literacy, differentiated instruction, and small group instruction
    • 30 hours of GATE/GT training

Also, a side note: I am registered to take the ESL cert, but not for another week. Hopefully I can pass and get that added. I feel like it will help 100%, but I just hope the jobs aren't filled by mid June.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 4, 2015

Sent you a PM. Regards!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 4, 2015

4815162342, I agree with another responder - I would make your verbs past tense. This is what you have done up until this point. Compare the following to what you wrote:

Combine games, music, artwork, films, books, computers, and other tools to teach basic skills.

Enhanced the acquisition of basic skils through the use of games, music, artwork, films, books, and computers.

I bet you can do this even better than me - you are the one that lived it. Just let your writing be energized.