Help, with reading centers rotations

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Ms.M, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ms.M

Ms.M New Member

Sep 25, 2008

This if my first year teaching. If there is anyone who can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I am a little confused on how literacy center rotations work. I have center ideas, but just confused on how to rotate my groups from center to center.

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

There are many ways to do it. You need to make a decision about whether you want your guided reading be part of the rotation or not. I prefer not to. I just call the groups based on my schedule. Then you need to make a rotation chart so they know where they need to go. For example this would be Monday's schedule:

blue group - listening center / poetry
    red group - independent reading / writing
    yellow group - computers / word family center
    green group - journal writing / read/write the room

After Monday, you would rotate the group names down each day. My center groups are not my same guided reading groups so if I call a guided reading group they may come from every group above. If you decide to put your guided reading in the rotation, it would be like this:

blue group - guided reading / listening
    red group - independent reading / writing
    yellow group - word family center / guided reading
    green group - journal writing / read/write the room

So in this example you would see the blue group first and the yellow group second. Again you would move the groups everyday.
    I hope that this helped and you are not too confused. Let me know if you have questions

4. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Nov 2, 2008

As the previous post said, there are many ways to do it.
    I have a rotation chart that works well for me and my "centers" are very simple. At the moment I have read to self, read to buddy, Independent work, Meeti with teacher, and writer's workshop. The point is, it doesn't have to be a lot of extra work to be meaningful!

5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

Do your center groups all switch simultaneously? I was just curious. This is a good thread for centers.

6. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Nov 9, 2008

Yes, we all switch at the same time. I don't have a "set" amount of time. I just gage it by how the students are working, if they are getting restless, etc.

7. neverhyper

neverhyper Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Touchthefuture- How often do you meet with each guided reading group?

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

I try and meet with my low groups 3 times per week, the on level groups 2 times per week and the high group 1-2 times. This varies year to year according to the levels within my room. I do not time it but we do roatate at the same time. I have written my lessons so they last about 15 mins and then we rotate. This last year I had my 90 minute language block set -up like this.
    Center 1 - 15 mins
    Word Work - 15 mins (whole group)
    Center 2 - 15 mins
    Shared Reading - 30 mins ( whole group)
    Center 3 - 15 mins

Breaking up centers helps eliminate students finishing all their centers quickly and then playing. It really helped. This year I will move my shared reading to the 2nd slot as we sometimes ran out of time tiwards the end.

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I never thought of doing this. I can see how this might help keep them better focused. Thanks for the idea!

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

This past year I had 4 rotations at the beginning of the year:

Reading group
    Read to self
    Work on writing
    Word work

Each rotation lasted 30 minutes... I'm very insistent on meeting with each group EVERY single day! After winter break, I started a writing workshop, so my reading time was reduced, and I replaced Work on Writing with Listening Centers. My guided reading time was then reduced to 20 minutes. It's taken time, but I have learned to stop myself at 20 minutes (I think we all tend to get caught up with your lowest group most of the time).

This year I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my groups. I have so many things I want to do during the morning, but never enough time! I got some fluency kits and games through donorschoose, and would like to incorporate these, as well as some smartboard activities. I think I may have to go back to my wheel (one rotation students would spend "on the wheel"... my wheel had 6 different centers, so each child at the group was working independently at a different center). I hope that made some sense!

11. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Read and implement Daily 5...it's the best thing ever!

12. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Sep 6, 2010

This sounds like a great idea. The only thing, I work in private sector and my school has very little supplies but this would be a great idea. Maybe I could do it two times a week starting off and grow into three times a week. Thanks