Help with practical chemistry

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by iluvparis, Jun 26, 2013.

1. iluvparis

iluvparis New Member

Jun 26, 2013

Hello: I am a high school special ed teacher who has been asked to teach practical chemistry for the first time in September. I have never taught chemistry before and have no idea where to begin. I have some science experience but not in practical chem. I might add that I do not have curriculum to follow at this point. Since the students are not going for advanced diplomas, I can be flexible with what I teach and can have some fun with the students. I just need a guideline of what I could do so I can begin planning during the summer.

Any ideas or help from all of you chemistry people would be so appreciated,

Thanks!:dizzy:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2013

Let's move this to the Secondary Education forum; the "Forum Guidelines and How-Tos" subforum is for a different purpose. I might also recommend prowling the Elementary Education forum for ideas.

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

I think you can easily teach this using household items. Anything with a labelled list of ingredients could be useful. How about chemistry in the kitchen with cooking. Maybe also household cleaners (you can make your own organic versions).

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Are they getting a regular diploma? If so, what are the state standards for chemistry? You need to be following those standards if they are getting a regular diploma since special education students can't have a modified curriculum which it seems is what you are planning to do.

Do you have resources in your district?

6. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

It is possible to teach many chemistry concepts so that they are less abstract. Consider materials science resources. This camp I went to was wonderful...many lab and demo ideas. Definitely worth a look to help you find activities that your students can benefit from.

http://www.asminternational.org/portal/site/www/foundation/programs/

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2013