Help with parents

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by penelope101, Sep 7, 2008.

1. penelope101

penelope101 New Member

Sep 7, 2008

What is the best way to handle out of control parents who are hurting their child not helping him?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

The only thing I know to do is document everything. I would document times and conversations. YOu can only do so much. I know where you are coming from. Thank you for being one of those who cares so much and would do anything to help that child. But, we are only teachers and can only do so much before we get to the point of hurting ourselves. Take it to the prinicpal and see what he or she says.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

I agree with michellean27. Document everything and confrence with your principal. Without details of what's going on, I can't think of anything else to advise.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

Hurting him how?

6. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Report abuse. Go to the principal and the guidance counselor.

Document phone calls, conversations with the student or parent, and student behavior. Keep administrators and guidance conselors in the loop.

Be the kind of adult the student can depend on. Talk to the student one-on-one and offer assistance.

Best wishes for success,

Diane

7. FutureEDucator

FutureEDucator Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

It is not your responsibilty to raise the students nor the parents. The only way you can handle this situation is to keep documention on the child. You should inform the parent of any problems the child is having or any problems you are having with the child. Administrators play a vital role in this as well. If the parent is not satisfied with the way you operate your class, just ask the parent (in a very professional manner) to talk to the principal about their concerns. You can have a parent/teacher conference and invite the principal or guidance conselor to sit in so that everyone can put personal feelings aside and decide (as a group) what is best for the child.