Help with Parents.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mr.PreK, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Mr.PreK

Mr.PreK New Member

Jan 20, 2015

First of Hello to everyone as this is my first post here. I've started my first job as a Pre-k teacher this past September. So far I love it, I have a great group of children, an awesome group of teachers and a great boss where I work. Unfortunately though I have one problem. A lot of the parents at our center do not like me or are uncomfortable with me working there because of the fact I'm a male...I'm the only male to ever work at our center in the 10 years it's been open. All of my reviews from my boss have been perfect, all my co workers comment on how the kids all love me, but there are still complaints of me being there. I always try to talk to the parents and be friendly and involve them in what's going on in the class but there's still some that just aren't ok with it . My first parent teacher conference will be coming up this month so I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or have dealt with this before.? Also sorry for the length of the post.

3. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jan 20, 2015

I am not male so I can't offer that perspective. However, just make sure you are yourself and show the parents that you are a good teacher (which is why the principal hired you). I see you're in the South, so I think that's probably why they are more resistant to your presence. However, this is pre-k, not day care. You don't change diapers or anything like that. I would just ignore the parents who aren't ok w/it. They can take their kid elsewhere. Keep being the best you can be.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2015

You should get your hands on Look At My Happy Rainbow. It's by a male kindergarten teacher who used to be a regular on our boards. While the students may be a tiny bit older, the advice and attitude throughout the book might give you a little insight.