Help with organizing books

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sewsouth, Feb 24, 2007.

1. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Feb 24, 2007

As many preschool classes we have so many books....not a complaint just an issue at the moment. I am looking for a better way or system of organizing these books in order to find them quickly.

I have a large book shelf and they are in some what order now. Like all the books that start with "C" are under "C" and so on. Some are in themes.

Just looking for suggestions on your experience and what may work best for you.

Thanks so much
    Kim

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

I think it depends on what would be easiest for you.
    I have my books set up by author. But if you do it by theme, I would than put them into abc order by author. Label the shelf with what ever theme it is covering.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

I am already obsessing over what to do with all my books (over 1000) if I don't teach 5th next year.

5. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Feb 24, 2007

I think the best thing to do would be to decide one way to organize them. You could do it by theme, alphabetically by author, or alphabetically by title, but choose one system. Don't try to do some by theme and others by title or whatever. My books are organized by theme. I put them in 2-gallon ziplock bags to keep them together and then put them on the shelf. Then all I have to do is pull out a bag.

I also made a document in Microsoft Access where I organized all of my books. It takes time to do, but it has made my life easier and now its done. I have columns for title, author, and 3 columns for subjects. Most of the books are mine, but I also have a column to type in the name of the library if it's one I get at the library. For a book like Jan Brett's "The Hat", I type in 3 subjects in the column: Winter, Farm Animals, Clothing. Then, the books can be sorted alphabetically by title, author or subject with the click of a button and it's easy to find the books I need.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2007

I like your style!

7. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Feb 25, 2007

I catalog mine at http://www.librarything.com/ you can add tags to each book, and when you want to find books about a certain topic if you look at that tag it will show you all the books you labelled.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

I'm not sure if you're looking for ideas for organizing the books the kids will touch or books that are only for the teacher. I have a page on my website about how to organize your classroom library- books for the kids: ~vanna's Classroom Library page~ There is a picture there of my classroom library as well as explanations about how to create one.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

? for Xtine

I checked out library thing, thanx for posting the link it sounds very interesting! I'm curious though, do you have to pay the fee? It says something about only 200 books for free? Do you pay the fee personally and if so, is it worth it? I have waaaaaay more than 200 books so I'm interested but need first person info :)
    TIA

10. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Feb 25, 2007

I did pay the fee, it's only $25, I put in the first 200 before deciding to pay and then wanted to be able to add them all, so I did it. I have 910 added right now, but haven't added a lot of the children's books yet, those are mostly my personal reading and a good portion of my resource books. You can also buy a ISBN scanner from them for $15 to make the inputting go faster, but I have not done that. :)

11. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 25, 2007

I went to an all day workshop back in the fall and the lady shared with us that she buys those tool caddys from the Dollar Tree and labels the front of each section with the unit/theme and puts a colored dot on the inside of the book and also that colored dot on the front of the label so that she can go right back and put the book in the right place when she is finished. Seemed like a good idea to me. I have yet to do mine. Maybe when I get some extra time.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2007

In preK, I'd do by theme. The idea of color coded lebels to mkae it easier for kiddos to put books back in right place is great. Buy some baskets/bins at the dollar store.

In elementary grades I do most of my fiction by reading level. (I teach 2nd) I have author study baskets as well and a few genre baskets (poetry, fairy tales..) my non-fiction is by theme.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

I just organized my books, but am always looking for ways to improve. I have my some of by books separated by theme and the rest in alphabetical order. All are stored in bins, faced forward so I can sort through them. The themes are: Alphabet/Counting, Religious, Seasonal (placed in order of seasons), Science, Poetry/Rhymes, Diversity/Special Topics, and books that are part of my curriculum.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 25, 2007

I didn't take enough time to really organize the classroom books but some nice ideas are by theme and levels. Young children can become overwhelmed if there are too many choices at one time, so by also including levels, you can change out books throughout the year. Then if you do it by theme and you need a read aloud book on a certain topic, you know where to find it. Put something on the book to identify it (dots, etc) then put them in labeled bins. Kids can pick up a bin and share.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

My book bins are in my closet. I rotate books to a library shelf in my reading center. The shelf holds about 20 books face forward.

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

:wow: now that's cool!!! As a former librarian I think I'm sold, thanx again for the info :)

17. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Feb 26, 2007

OH WOW!!!! That is so neat! Thanks for posting this link.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2007

All of our children's books are in categories/themes. I put numbers on each book , on white sticky labels with the correct number of which category they belong in. So far it has worked great. However, our shelves are over flowing and I need to re-do some of them. I change the children's books in our classroom about every 2 weeks, according to theme and when finished, they go back into the library that we all share. I have my personal books in my closet and try to keep it down to a mild roar. I don't give my own books to the kids. THey go back home with me after I have used them for circle teaching.

19. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Feb 26, 2007

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions
    Kim