help with new student!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jennstarr12, Nov 18, 2008.

1. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Nov 18, 2008

I got a new student Thursday who is really underperforming. He does not know how to hold a pencil, can not write ANY letter including his name, randomly scribbles when coloring, doesnt know colors or letters, etc. His mother has also yet to send him with a backpack to school so I havent even been able to send home any letters or anything. I've been trying to work on him with at least being able to write his name and so far I'm making no progress. Any tips for a student who is performing like this? Ive already made the guidance counselor and principal aware but I just need some ideas on what to do with him NOW because he can not do any of the work we are doing at this point in the year.

3. Prof. Mat

Prof. Mat Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

oh wow did you ever wonder about asking the parents to meet you so you can try to find out the problem?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2008

As far as the backpack goes: can you improvise? Send him home with a folder? Find a fabric grocery bag at home for him? Anything?

I know nothing about teaching kindergarten, except in what I see coming home from my own kids. (My youngest is in K now.)

-Does he recognize his name? It seems as though that's a big priority so he'll know where his cubby and desk are.

- Holding a pencil and writing his name seem to be the next two orders of business. Can you steal some time, perhaps while the other kids are in centers, to work with him? Could you assign him a rotating "buddy" to help him get caught up?

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

I teach 1st grade but I have a student who sounds almost exactly like yours. He has finally started to hold a pencil correctly, but still cannot write or even copy any letters.

One thing that has worked for him is for me to write everything in highlighter that I want him to write (for example, his name) and he has to trace it. I started with a really wide highlighter and once he was able to kind of keep within those lines I narrowed the highlighter. He still can't write his name though (been tracing since September!) so it still may go very slowly.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

I have a student like that as well. He came a month after school started. Like Maroki I write everything in highlighter and he traces. He is in Basic Skills now and they are working identifying the letters in his name b/c he has no idea. I have already had a conference with the parent and told her I will want to meet with her every month to discuss his progress.
    Send home a folder with work for him to do - shapes, name writing etc...

7. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Nov 19, 2008

Ive thought about it but honestly I feel as if it wont actually get home if I send him with just a folder. he goes to the after school program so I cant be sure he won't leave it there or something. He can not recognize his own name. I have been working with him whenever I get a chance and it's only been a few days , i know, but I'm seeing NO improvement.

8. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Nov 19, 2008

i like this highlighter idea. maybe that will help. he seems to not even understand what i mean when i ask him to tace even if i model it and guide his hand in doing it but maybe the colors will help him and being able to see the writing over the highlighter could be helpful also.