Help with my parent letter...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by loves2teach, Jun 28, 2006.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

hey :)

I am trying to get a head start on some of my papers to send home the first day of school. I am now working on my parent letter, but feel like it isn't as good as it could be (especially when talking about moving to my new school).

Thanks so much for the help- Please, be tough if necessary :)

Dear Parents and Guardians,

Hello, my name is xxxxxx. I will be your child’s fifth grade teacher this year. Welcome to one of the most incredible years in your child will have in their school career! Since I have the opportunity to teach your child, I want to tell you a little about myself. I was born and raised in xxxxxx. I met my husband in high school there, and we were married in xxxxx . We moved here while he was in the ARMY, and he is currently attending xxxxx. I graduated from xxxxx with a K-8 degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. The past two years I taught fifth grade at xxxxx Elementary, and I am excited about now teaching here at xxxxx Elementary.

Here are a few ways you can help your child this year:

*Celebrate your child’s success, no matter how small it may seem. This will keep your child enthusiastic about learning and proud of their work.
    *Look for and read your child’s newsletter and go through their take home folder each Monday. The newsletter will have important information for the next week, along with exciting events from the previous week, and helpful reminders. Their take home folder will have their work from the previous week, along with things you need to sign, and their behavior chart from the previous week.

I am looking forward to having your child in my class this year. Our classroom is self-contained this year, so your child will be taught math, reading, science, social studies, language, and spelling in my room. If you ever have any questions about our class, please feel free to email me at anytime. My email address is xxxxxxx. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. xxxxxx

3. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Jun 28, 2006

I think it's great. You don't want to overwhelm them with too much information and you have the basics. I send home a weekly folder as well in the one language arts class I teach (the rest of the time I teach history), and it is important that they see it and sign what it needed.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 28, 2006

I agree. This is a fabulous letter!

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Other than a couple little things/typos in the first paragraph, it looks good! I don't think you need to give any more detailed info about yourself.

Here are the changes I would make in the first paragraph.

Hello, my name is xxxxxx. I will be your child’s fifth grade teacher this year. Welcome to one of the most incredible years <in> (deleted the word "in") your child will have in <their> ("their" refers to multiple people, I would say "his or her" instead) school career! Since I have the opportunity to teach your child, I want to tell you a little about myself. I was born and raised in xxxxxx. I met my husband in high school there, and we were married in xxxxx . We moved here while he was in the ARMY, and he is currently attending xxxxx. I graduated from xxxxx with a K-8 degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. The past two years I taught fifth grade at xxxxx Elementary, and I am excited about now teaching here at xxxxx Elementary.

6. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Okay, not to hijack your thread...but I have a question. I noticed you said that you met your husband in...... What would someone put in place of that who is not married. Would you suggest putting your hobbies? Or what?