Help with my education philosophy statement

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PreKyay, Mar 24, 2009.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Could I please have some feedback on my ed philosophy statement? Thanks a bunch! Is it too wordy? Is it comprehensive enough? Help!

My goals as a teacher are to encourage enthusiasm for education and to help my students develop a foundation of life-long learning, because education does not end with a diploma or a degree. Every child can learn when I successfully facilitate learning with a proactive approach: a positive environment, authentic lessons, and communication between home and school.

I embrace the philosophy that a certain degree of organized chaos is beneficial; I don’t mind noise as long as my students are learning. And they learn best through hands-on, sometimes noisy, activities. However, from the first moment a child steps foot into my classroom they must know my expectations as well as their expectations for learning. Learning cannot take place without consistent and effective classroom management. Structure and routine, balanced with creative opportunity are important in establishing a positive learning environment.

I teach my students how to apply lessons to their lives. I also wish to instill in them a sense of pride and responsibility. Authentic lessons are important to imparting responsibility and an understanding of real-life application. For example, when my students study measurement, they learn by using measurement cups and a tape measure, or other appropriate tools.

Another factor in creating an authentic learning experience is to encourage critical thinking. A lesson is not simply a means to an end; it is a springboard of further study. I want my lessons to spark an interest in a topic and promote further thought and examination.

Children begin their life of learning at home, no matter what type of environment. I cannot dismiss the connection between the home and school because I learn valuable information to help my students when I am in communication with their families. My strategy of home-school communication begins with welcoming the efforts and input of the parents or guardians of my students with an understanding that we are working together. Empathy for each student and their family is crucial to communication. I want my students and their families to know I am genuinely attentive to their needs, and that I too am continually learning.

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 26, 2009

I see this as long. I hope others will weigh in b/c it is making me nervous. Here is mine: All children can learn.

If you are in an interview, you give this answer? How do you remember it all?

4. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 26, 2009

Well, I was wondering...I am new to the job search for a teaching position. I am in an alternative certification program. I was asked on one of my applications to explain my philosophy of education in a space of about 3/4 of a page long.

I agree that it seems long. And I agree that all children can learn and that is my "shortened philosophy," if you will. But I thought I should expand on that thought because how else will I communicate my thoughts until I am in the actual interview. And the application wording says "explain."

Please, keep the thoughts coming. As I said, I am new to this and am hoping for some seasoned feedback. Thanks!

5. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 26, 2009

And, by the way I am feeling very overwhelmed right now. So any encouragement would go a long way, as well.:(

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

I think shorter is sweeter, just as TxSandMom was pretty much saying. It's a STATEMENT, not an explanation. If you're ever asked what your educational philosophy is, the interviewer(s) will expect a statement, but will expect you to explain through an example(s). There's no way that an admin. is going to flip through a application or your portfolio, and read your entire educational philosophy. It's just too long. If you have a brief statement, they're more likely to read it because it will pop. It's hard to read your educational philosophy and immediately find a statement that truly states what you believe in. I think I found it though:

"Every child can learn when I successfully facilitate learning with a proactive approach: a positive environment, authentic lessons, and communication between home and school."

If you were asked your educational philosophy in an interview and you told the interviewer(s) this, you could then explain what a positive environment is for you, what an authentic lesson is for you, and what effective communication between home and school is for you. The statement lends itself into further discussing three other commonly discussed topics during an interview.

By the way, I love your little blurp about organized chaos. I totally agree. I tried stating this during an interview for a third grade position...I didn't get hired! Any grade level from second grade down, won't always agree with the organized chaos theory ;)

7. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 26, 2009

Thanks so much for the great feedback. This is what I needed.