Help with my dog.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Emily Bronte, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

I have have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Jack. He is 16 months old. He also also been through 8 weeks of Puppy Eucation and 8 weeks of Intermediate Education. I have some issues with him that I could use some help trying to solve. When out on walks, Jack breathes heavy, pants, sorta growls and eventually barks at other dogs we see while walking. The barking usually comes after we have walked completely passed the other dog and its owner. We typically do not stop to greet other dogs. We are on a mission for our walk and for him to do his "business." I own a row style townhouse and we do not have our own yard. Dogs must be leashed when outside the owner's unit. I have tried no-bark command with treats, which is not really helping. He also barks as others walk by on the walking path that goes infront of our house. The no bark command with treat works for him in this situation sometimes works. Any ideas? Do we do more dog training classes? This is a nice dog breed, but I am sure my neighbors think Jack is a nut of a dog.

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

The dog does not need anymore classes you do :lol:
    remember rewards work but "anti rewards" work too.
    do you think he enjoys being out? if he does when he barks while out pick him up (if he is small enough) and go back into the house. also take him out for short times and reward him with each "good" walk lengthening the walk each time
    you see a dog is an empty vessel WE have to work to fill it correctly
    My dog and I had problems with moving in with my son and DIL
    In my old house I had a fenced in back yard and a doggy door
    but not here, so I had to train MYSELF to take the dog out more often now she knows she can "ask" me to go out.

"We are on a mission for our walk and for him to do his "business." he needs to exercise while out

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 19, 2010

Do you think it's a reactive response or does he just want to play with the other dog? The class you took , was he around other dogs? I try to distract mine before she sees the dog and has a chance to get reactive. Remember they sense your feelings to if you tense up because you see this dog because you fear his response, it will make him be more protective of you. I agree with Dave in taking him inside if outside is really where he wants to be.

5. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 19, 2010

When does Jack get to play outside? Not having a yard means you have to find time for outside fun. Is there a dog park in your city? You might even consider doggy daycare! Sounds strange but Jack needs time to socialize and it doesn't sound like he has much "fun" time. Dogs are a huge commitment of time, especially if one doesn't have a yard.

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

My dog barks at other dogs too (but his is a trust issue & he can get aggressive) so when I see other dogs, I keep lots of space between us and them. We alternate walking and running, so if there are other dogs I just start running and that's what he's focused on and he ignores the other dogs.

7. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 20, 2010

This is a big part of the problem.

Dogs need to be socialized with both animals and humans. My advice would to find the nearest doggy park and develop a routine with your dog with this park.

I would say go at least 2 times out of the week so he can meet other pups and humans.

This will go a long way in fixing your problem.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

I think I was not clear. Jack is taken on 2 walks per day of 20-25 minutes each. He is also out additionally when he has to go potty. We're going to the dog park today. I also have a second dog at home. I play with Jack daily. He loves fetch, which I can easily do in the house. He is only 13lbs.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

DallasTeacher has hit it on the head your dog may be bored the two dogs in my house play all the time. when we lived in my old house my dog had two cats to play with they were friends and when one had kittens she let DeeOhGee babysit them!
    You can go to a park (with your doggy pickup bag) and let him RUN use a reel type leash.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

Maybe Jack is just a Teenage dog and is rebelling :lol:

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

In the past I have use a pop can with a few pennies in side, whenever I disciplined, I shake the can, the dog associates the sound with "I am trouble" and will stop what they are doing.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

We have a very large dog park in our city--70 acres. Jack and I went today with my sister. He was the perfect angel off-leash. But, I have to be careful as his breed is known to chase anything that moves, even cars. Jack was good with greeting other dogs and people. The dog park is not fenced, but it is really out in the middle of nowhere so, I was not too worried and he is very good about coming when called. I often have to change up his chew bones because he does not like having the same ones over and over again. This is very different from my other Aging dog.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

I may have to try this. Thanks Dave. Are you a midwesterner? I did not know Pop was a term used outside of the midwest. He is somewhat of a teenager...at 16 months old.

14. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I agree with unbeknownest in the fact the dog needs to be socialized. I also have three Cavaliers. I have one Cavalier that acted the exact same way until one day. My boyfriend bought shock collars for his hound dogs. I know it might sound completely inhumane, but it works wonders. The collars he bought have a choice between vibration and shock. I always use vibration because I would want to get shocked. I can also control how strong or weak the vibration is. After she wore it a couple times, she behaves well. I do believe dogs need to be socialized or they can really be hard to handle. Cavaliers are very social dogs, and when they don't have the social interaction with other dogs, they really do act up.

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

Is he a rescue or have you had him since a tiny puppy? I now have a rescue and it's a whole different deal than with my dog I got a 11 weeks old. It's taken my new dog almost a year to feel completely comfortable in her neighborhood. And if she senses another dog is the tiniest bit aggressive she will react. My new girl probably wasn't well socialized as a puppy or taken away from her litter too early - up to about 13 weeks old the mom teaches her litter how to read signals from other dogs. So we just avoid other dogs unless I know they are very sedate and emit no mixed signals.

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

I have had Jack since he was a puppy. He is completely ok around other dogs at the dog park, no issues what so ever. But, out on walks that is a different story. I would for sure say he is an overly friendly dog, which a lot of people may find annoying. He came home at about 8 weeks. His puppy ed. class didnt have a lot of dogs in it, but the next class level we took did. Like I said he was an angel at the dog park.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2010

My mother was from Southern Illinois
    I am bilingual I say Pop or Soda :lol:

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2010

I really wish I knew what to tell you, but I've never encountered this problem myself. My dog has never barked at anyone or other dogs ever. When I walk him, we never really stop & "greet" other dogs/owners if we pass by each other. Another dog could be barking up a storm at my dog & he'll just look at the other dog. My dog's friendly w/ all people & curious, yet cautious when close to other dogs.

19. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

We are having many of the same barking issues with our 5 month old Mini Daschund/Cocker Spaniel mix. Nearly any dog he meets gets barked at (except for 1 neighbor dog). I have started to notice though that many times the other dog is initiating the barking and Shadow is just returning the barks.