help with monthly planning

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 1, 2002

I have a list of all the themes I want to incorporate into my monthly pre-K plans, but I need help organizing it. For example, I know that the first week, I'll do the letter J, then second week, K, and the third week, L (the fourth week I'll review), but then there are the other themes such as Thanksgiving, Nutrition, Animals in Winter. Any help would be appreciated. If I could see an example of an organized curriculum for one moth, that would be very helpful. THANKS!

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 1, 2002

Animals, winter, etc. sound like your themes. The other stuff is your "Letter of the Week". You can tie the letter into your theme, but the kids will learn to recognize that they have a monthly unit of study and a letter each week. Write the theme next to the month on your calender and the letter of the week on each Monday (use stickee notes next to the number), and review it each morning. On Mondays, write it on their snack napkin so they can look at their name tags on the table and see if they have that letter and how many. I also used to write the secret letter on baloons and each Monday blow one up so the kids could see the letter of the week. I had small group literacy instruction that focused on the letter, and my large group circle was based on the theme (animals or whatever). This was with 4 year olds. Hope it helps.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 2, 2002

Thanks Angela, you have some good ideas there. I am going to try those out. My only other question is, I am already doing a letter each week and reviewing the last week. But as far as the other themes go, I could divide it up by themes also, but then I have more than 3 or 4. Should I just limit it to that many (I could make them more general, I guess) or try to do 2 themes a week and overlap, which is where I think it starts getting complicated?

But I like your idea about doing seperate groups.

Also, should I have a bigger, monthly theme that incorporates everything into it?

Thanks for your help!

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 2, 2002

I have tried weekly, monthly, and quarterly themes, and like the latter the best. I prefer to go really in depth in our theme, taking the time to go with the children's interests, rather than try to cover a whole lot of material but never really get to the meat of it. This also makes it easier for bulletin boards, centers, etc. because you dont' have to change as often. Our themes were Me and My Family, Animals, Transportation, and Plants. These are all concepts relevant to the children's lives, open-ended, and allowed for a lot of freedom and creatity in the long range plans.