Help with letters

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by buterfly, Feb 28, 2006.

1. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Feb 28, 2006

I have a dilema! I teach a preschool class of children ages 3-5. We work on a focus letter that corresponds with our current unit of study. For example, we are now doing dental health, so our letter is D for dentist. I have no shortage of ideas for our focus letters for my younger students. In fact, I have plenty of ideas for all of them, except one child. During center time, I split my kids up based on ability (I technically don't like ability grouping, but in my case, with some non-English speaking students and a wide age and maturity range, I have no other choice). Anyway, my 3 oldest kids are grouped together. 2 of the girls still need help with some letter recognition, sounds the letters make, writing the letter, etc., normal preschool level, and in fact a bit above that. Here's my problem... the 3rd girl in the group is very gifted; she just turned 4 and is already reading on, dare I say a beginning first grade level. She taught herself!! What can I do with this little girl during letter centers so she won't get bored? I've had her trace and write words that begin with our focus letter, she's rearranged letters to form words, she's read words that start with the focus letter, etc. I'm afraid that she will get bored, and I don't want to hold her back. She is VERY gifted! I do have one on one time with her (as I do with all of them) to focus on things that are at her level, but during center time, I still want to keep her as part of her group for socialization, but she's way beyond the abilities of the other 2 kids in her group. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Sorry so long!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 28, 2006

Find pictures in magazines that start with D. Put a big D and d s on a BB and put the pictures around the D. Other students could also find pictures when they finish their projects. Find words and add to the BB. Or a large sheet of paper. Make crossword puzzles. Put the puzzle sheets on a shelf and any student when finished ---gets one to do. If they don't have time, tell them they can take one home if they want, but not required.

Make all kinds of puzzles. Use the words you want. Spelling and etc. http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com/chooseapuzzle.html

4. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Feb 28, 2006

Maybe you could have her help some of your younger kids. Then she wouldn't be bored and she'd be helping younger ones learn. I've got one that's close to reading, and I'm trying to work out a way I can have her help 'teach' the younger ones, but have it so that the younger ones won't feel like they're being left out. ugh.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2006

Try looking into some K and 1st grade curriculums for her for ideas. Put together book packets for her and set up a reading center while the kids do their letter work.

To be honest, if she isn't complaining and is happy doing what she is already doing, then don't put added pressure on yourself.

6. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Mar 1, 2006

No, she's not complaining, but I just worry b/c I know that she is capable of way more. She seems to enjoy the activities that she's presented with though. It's just tough, b/c I already have to modify EVERYTHING in my class for the various ability levels. Thanks for the ideas!

7. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

What type of computer activities do you have available? I have used several different programs for my high achievers when they needed them. You might try a K-1 level to see how she does.

8. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Mar 1, 2006

Unfortunately, we don't have a computer that we can use in my class. I wish that we did.