Help With Letter Tray

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs_sarahscott, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Sep 17, 2012

Can you help liven up my "What's on Ms. Sarah's Tray" circle time activity? Every Monday, as we start on a new letter, I make up a tray of objects that begin with that letter. We name everything, I hide stuff to see what's missing, we count them... basically it's the same thing over and over.

Any fresh ideas of games we can play with the objects?

:) Sarah

[​IMG]

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Sep 17, 2012

put it in a bag and have kids pull the objects out?

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2012

Riddley, Riddley, Ree
    I have something in basket,
    can you see?

Then pull them out sloooooowly so the children are engaged in guessing what the item is before it comes all the way out.

On a different day, have more than one letters worth of items on the tray or in the box or in the bag. Pull out items and make them use their own listening ears to decide if it is "today's letter" or "tomorrows letter".

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2012

Sarah...do you typically do both the short and long vowel sounds on your tray? Are preschoolers confused by that?

6. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Sep 18, 2012

czacza, I generally teach the short vowel sound. It's definitely something that I've thought about (especially when making the decision to teach the alphabet in ABC order), but honestly, I don't have a whole lot of trouble. When discussing the acorn, for instance, the children accepted the long vowel without question. Upon review at the end of the week and throughout the year, they tend to only remember the short sound. I've only had a few students wonder, and they were the most mature who could handle the extra lesson. I know the 2nd grade teacher still spends quite a bit of time teaching irregular sounds, so I don't worry in pre-k.

How do you handle vowels?

PS. Thank you WaProvider and imanashhole (hee hee). Great suggestions!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2012

I taught preK for one year and k for two....didn't spend too much time on phonics in preK...mostly letter recognition.
    In k, I started with short vowel, then long. And I didn't teach in abc order.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2012

I taught phonemic awareness, letter identification and sounds to those who were ready at the time they were ready. We didn't do formal group things like letter trays, but did it in break outs often. At the end of the final year prior to Kinder ...what most would call PreK we were very into phonics and reading at the end of that year. All but a few read at Easter of their 4th birthday.

I didn't teach letters in order at all, and I kept the vowels (except for small groups who were exceptionally ready) until the very, very end.

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 18, 2012

I like the idea of mixing them up with other objects so the kids can practice listening for the /a/ sound.

I think there is value in doing a bit of phonics and talking about letter sounds in addition to letter ID from the start. Many kids already know letter ID by age 2 or 3 and are ready for more.

Also, I always taught long and short vowels together. I found long vowels easy for kids to hear because they say the name of the letter. I just tell them that some letters make more than one sound. However, we'd focus more on the short sounds.

Like WaProvider, I like doing letters out of order so the ones kids can hear more easily come first.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 19, 2012

Hap Palmer has a song about Walking Around the Alphebet. You can listen to his songs on line.

11. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Sep 21, 2012

Blue, "Marching Around the Alphabet" is a great song that we listen to in the spring (once we finish learning our letters). I have A - Z beanbags that I place in a big circle and the kids march around them with the music. At the singer's direction, they stop and pick up whatever beanbag is closest, showing it off to the rest of the class.

It's a fun activity!

12. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Sep 25, 2012

I don't really have a suggestion, but I am going to add the tray to my weekly lesson plan! :wub: Thanks!

13. bruinsfan

bruinsfan Rookie

Sep 25, 2012

Could you have ur students bring in objects that begin with the letter u are studying? Plus after the objects are shown, you could make it into a letter museum displaying the objects. Lots of great ideas ... can't wait to try out a few