help with lesson please

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TamiJ, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2008

I am doing my student teaching, and my supervisor is coming in on Friday. I am trying to finalize the lesson. Background info: We have started a unit today which involves the reading of a ver short story. Then, students (in groups) began creating posters. There are 8 groups, 4 poster templates, and each group is assigned a specific poster to create. The groups are creating posters, which are: the 5w's (who, what, where, etc.)-Poster 1, vocabulary (word-meaning-and visual representation of the meaning)-Poster 2, Description of the beginning, middle, and end-Poster 3, and a statement about whether the character's action was a good choice or poor choice, including three reasons to justify that statement.

So, each group creates one of those posters. They present on Friday. What else should I do with it? The information is basic and simple. I was thinking to use the poster presentation as a review of the story, and after presentations, I will give students questions that require higher level thinking. Does this sound ok? Or, are there other suggestions as to what I should do after the groups present their posters? Please help!

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 1, 2008

Does your S want to see a lesson? What you describe sounds like supervision of student presentations.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2008

It was ok with my supervisor. He said he was interested in seeing how I conduct the class.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2008

Oh, but this was a three day lesson, so he is watching it on the last day...

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2008

That was to you, Loomistrout...

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 1, 2008

Ah - now I understand. Whatever you decide try to involve as many students as possible.

During each group's presentation what will the rest of the class be doing? Sitting, passively? How about a question paper for each where they write their level of questions as students present? Could also write a critique of presentation.

During questioning how many will respond - one at a time? How about whole class writing ANSWER (Jeopardy! style) which fits level of question to go with it on back of paper. Can go step further and add categories, $ amounts, and divide class - one team against other. Presenters can be judges.

Bottom line: during most "class discussion" no class is involved. It is typically one teacher questioning one student.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2008

Those suggestions sound great. Could you tell me more about the students writing a critique and/or writing questions as groups present. Do they write as the groups are presenting? When would they ask these questions?

9. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

I'm sure you have a rubric, TamiJ. If not, I'd create one before students begin work on the project and presentations.

Best wishes for success!

Diane

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2008

Thanks, Diane. Yes, I do have a rubric created for the project. :O) Thanks!

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

Critique might be a prepared handout:
    1. The _____ group did the following correctly
    2. A newspaper would title presentation ______
    3. I could use information from presentation to ______

Questions

Bloom's Taxonomy could be used or modified
    1. Recall
    2. Application
    3. Analysis
    4. Synthesis
    5. Inference
    6. Predict

* Instead of class writing questions they write answers as group presents. After they read answers and group attempts to match answer with type of question

Example: George Washington
    Recall
    George is likely to make a great soccer coach.
    Infer/Predict

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2008

Thanks so much! I taught this lesson yesterday. What I did was class presentations, and students took notes, writing atleast two facts per presentation, and turned that in afterward. After the presentations was a quiz. I put the questions on the projector, read the questions to the class, and then they spent the remaining time answering the questions, independently, on a piece of paper. My supervisor said that he was so impressed and that what he saw was really unique. He told me that my school had been a crisis school, and that many of the classes were not well managed, that the students ran the classrooms, but that in my class I am in control. I was so happy to hear his kind words. :)

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 4, 2008

Congrats on the great lesson and positive response from your supervisor!

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2008

Thanks! It made me feel so good. I am abslutely loving teaching... It is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced, although I must say it has been a roller coaster of events and emotions... I am loving the experience... :)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

Congratulations Tami!!!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2008

Thanks!