help with issues with aide...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by USCgrad, Oct 23, 2008.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Oct 23, 2008

my aide is only part time. She comes in at 930 just when my students return from connect classes. She sits down at either her desk or the kidney table and waits until I tell her something to do. I have tried to set routines and she ignores them. If she doesn't want to do what I ask, she just does not. I document but to be honest, I doubt going to admin will accomplish anything...long story short, no need to waste my time.

she is interviewing for other jobs and is not even kind of caring and sweet with the students. She told one child she would slap them and call the mom and tell them. I know I need to talk to her and follow up with this in some way but I don't know how. I don't know how to approach the situation, address it with the administrator, and so on.

oh, and she even gossips all over the school about any and everything....

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

You have to go to the administration. She threatened a child! You can not have an adult in the room that tells the kids they will hit them. If your administration will not do anything then I would go to your union representative and ask for some advice on the matter.

4. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Oct 23, 2008

any advice on how to approach it? I just don't want to come out and accuse....it is my word against hers....and i am sure she would never admit it. i just am not sure how to proceed.

5. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Oct 23, 2008

no union here either. thanks!

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

I would go to you principal and basically tell him/her everything that you described in your first post. Give specific examples of what she is/ isn't doing in your room. You said that you have documented some things so I would take that along. Don't worry about your word against hers. You are simply telling your administration what you see in the classroom and what a child told you. Hopefully the administration will handle it. If not, you have at least covered yourself in case something would happen. The administration couldn't come back and say "Why didn't you warn us?" Don't feel guilty about it. It is your classroom and you are responsible for the children and their safety. Also, you said that your aide was only part time. Does she work part of the day with another teacher? If so, are they having the same problems?

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 23, 2008

I agree with this. If she DOES do something stupid, it's YOUR butt on the line. You need to protect yourself as well as your kids.

8. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 23, 2008

It's a lot of work to teach a room full of students. Add an adult in need of instruction and idea an aide will reduce the teacher's workload flies out the window.

Consider setting up a meeting with aide to discuss roles and responsibilities. In the meeting avoid accusatory remarks or unsolicited advice. Ask questions -- "Help me understand why you sit at the table when kids come in?" - "What do you think a classroom aide should be doing when the teacher is direct teaching?" - "What can I do to help communication so we work as a team?"

You should give her day in court by confronting before going to ad'. That's one of the attributes of teachers who want to be viewed as professional by the general public.

9. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Oct 24, 2008

Thank you for the advice. I will get myself together and approach this next week. She does not work with another teacher but my teaching team has already noticed the problems. My lead teacher is aware of the situation and has advised me to keep notes.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

Loomistrut....I agree with you right up to the point where she threatened to slap a child. That makes this a whole different ballgame.