Help with hygiene theme

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Aug 29, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 29, 2006

Oddly enough I just can't find much on hygiene! I have a cute little "Super Tooth" puppet and a few dental crafts but that's all I have been able to find. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

I didn't see what grade, but if its young, you could glue circles (bubbles) to a bath tub, (maybe a rubber duckie)

make a bath room colloge: cut out pictures of hair brushes, combes, shampoos, bath gel, soap, towels, tooth brushes and tooth paste, liquid hand sanatizer, etc..... on to a page of construction paper

maybe you could print out a check off or sticker chart for the kids to compleete with boxes for brushing teeth (2X a day), changing clothes, washing up/bathing, brushing hair, etc..... and if they bring it back in a week with a parents initials they will get something, perhaps you can get a good deal on toothbrushes or combs or pony tail holders from the $1 store, or some stickers.

Also request a colgate class pack...... comes with a video, game, samples and stuff! (they may only send out for dental health month in feb. but get your request in).

It wouldn't hurt to call or write the shampoo companies (Johnson&Johnson) to see if they will send out samples, also check the pampers website and ask about the "Kandoo product line and see if they have coupons or samples for their products(they have a hand foam wash stuff and may have door knob hangers that remind the kids to wash hands after going to the bathroom. Also I think its Charmin that has a kid thing too, lets them know how many squares of TP to use( if you have kids you know they like to try to use half a roll at a time).

4. Xtine

Xtine Companion

5. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 29, 2006

Oh sorry... They are 4 year olds :)

Wow, I haven't checked them but thanks xtine! I can't wait to go thru those links. :)

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2006

Ann, see if you can get a dentist or doctor to come visit your class. We had a dentist come last year. She read a cute book about different things to do to take care of your teeth. She also gave out goodie bags that had a toothbrush and some other stuff. She decided it was PR for her, as she included her card... she's the only pediatric dentist in the town.

7. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 29, 2006

aball, thanks for the ideas! I would have never thought of samples. Funny you said that about kids using half the roll. I can't seem to get my kids to use ENOUGH. I have backwards kids I guess. My 7 year old is finally to the point where he uses more than 3 squares. My 4 year old seems to think she can dry herself with 1 itty bitty square all balled up. LOL

Thanks everyone for the leads.

8. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

It's so funny you said that about the toilet paper- my 4 year old is going to be starting preschool and we've really been practicing and somehow whenever he wipes the paper misses and his hand does the job! FUN TIMES!

9. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 29, 2006

i did a cute lesson i called "Cover Your Cough"

paper plate (kids decorate to look like them)
    traced hand
    tissue

the kids glued the tissue to their "hand" while letting most of the tissue hang out, then glued the tissued side of the hand to the plate. we practiced coving our coughs...and using tissues.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2006

The best activity I did was cutting off bottoms of 2 liter soda bottles to make them look like teeth. Them I squirted shaving cream all over them (toothpaste) and let the kids practice brushing with toothbrushes on them. They LOVED it.

I did a similar activity with floss and egg cartons to practice flossing.

11. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 30, 2006

I read that idea yesterday on a site somewhere while browsing. I thought it sounded corny but if your kids liked it I think I'll add it. You never know and at least it's something else to add to the list of the few things I have.

It looks like most of the week will be focused on teeth. :D

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 3, 2006

Here's one for hand washing. I learned it in a summer camp for older kids, and then tried it on a group of 3, 4 and 5 year olds. They loved it!!
    Teach your students to wet their hands, put on soap, and rub (I say fronts, backs and fingertips as a reminder of where to rub) while singing "Happy Birthday" two times. Older students in my school used to get a kick out of hearing my students singing "Happy Birthday" at the top of their lungs outside the bathroom!!