Help with Head Start lesson plans?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Oregon Teacher, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

I am hoping someone can help me... I have an interview with Head Start soon, and as part of that interview I need to fill out a lesson plan for the first week, but I am unsure on a few things...

There is a place for choice time activities, do these activities change daily, or weekly? I was thinking of things like puppets, sand trays, painting, patterns with beads, etc. - Are these typical choice time activities?

Do you have weekly themes, and then daily themes that are sub categories (ie weekly theme of nature, and daily sub themes of leaves, trees, rain, etc.)? Or just weekly themes, just daily themes, or no themes just individual topics?

Is outdoor playtime usually structured with a group game, or free play?

Thank you so much for any ideas! I'm hoping to do well on the interview, I would love this opportunity.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 21, 2013

I worked for HS, and trained the teachers. First, go to the Head Start website and look around. Read the outcome information very carefully. All your activities should be related to the outcomes. EVERYTHING must be creative. You can use a theme if you want to, but make sure the activities relate to outcomes. I am in Oregon, so if you want to call me, send me a PM and I will call you or send my phone number. Depending upon which HS, I might have more insight.

4. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 21, 2013

Good luck!

6. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

Thank you Blue, Teacher Girl, & Preschool0929 for your ideas. I am almost done with the lesson plans and feeling better about my understanding of HS.

7. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Good luck! I just finished 4 years with HS. Try to learn about Head Start domains and objectives. We used the Lap 3 to assess and individualized our small groups based on the assessment.
    I would also try to have a solid behavior management plan to talk about, when I interviewed they wanted to know what I would do if the class was in utter chaos to bring them back.... I said I would use Dr. Jeans Rules Rap song to regroup, talk about our classroom rules...etc.
    The other thing very important for Head Start is parent and community involvement. How will you get parents involved? We had federal inkind forms that for every hour we got donated we received grant money for the program.
    I would also look into home visits so that you can say you would be comfortable with them because they help you understand the child, improve parent involvement, and gain insight into family dynamic.

Hope this helped, Head Start can be an awesome program, if you are working in a good program!

8. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 23, 2013

One thing HS focuses on is social/emotional development. They want to see positive forms of behavior support. So, they want to see that you are giving children positive feedback for desired behaviors. They want to see that children are given clear expectations and opportunities to respond and try. They want the day to alternate busy times with quiet times, structured times with unstructured times. They want to see music, language, literacy, fine motor and large motor development as well as cognitive problem solving and social problem solving. So, a circle with a song and perhaps a letter game or song, then handwashing, then meal time, then a motor activity, a skills activity (probably in the form of a lesson/small group activity) a free choice period, a clean up time in which children will participate. A quiet rest and relaxation time. A story time, a gross motor acitivty, a directed outdoor activity and an ending circle time. They want to see you really incorporating outcomes, and all of those can be addressed in the design of the day and the activities.