Help with Grade 8 science

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Grade 8 Teacher, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Grade 8 Teacher

Grade 8 Teacher New Member

Jul 4, 2006

In the fall I will be teaching grade 8 (from grade 1). I need some help with my science units on adaption and succession of the eco system, The earth's crust, and Solutions. Anybody have any units or ideas of where to find information?

Thanks,

Debbie

3. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 5, 2006

Hi--
    I already posted this website on a different thread, but I've always found this site helpful: www.middleschoolscience.com

One idea for adaptation I have used is to pick a certain geographic region (I did the Snonoran Desert since we live in Arizona) and had the kids research how plants and animals from the region have adapted to the climate and terrain. For example, the kangaroo rat has a small kidney and doesn't require a lot of water, which is scarce in the desert. Also, some animals are camoflaged (sp?) to blend in with their environments (lizards, snakes, etc.)--this can be an art project of some sort--having students draw an animal hidden in their natural environment.

Hope this helps!

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 5, 2006

Try some units in earth science. Rocks and minerals might be good. You could have the kids make a pet rock. Gather some rocks, have the kids put faces on them , yarn hair, etc., then they could write a short paper describing if their rock is igneous, metamorphic or sidementary. Then they could name their rock. This would be after you taught them about the different kinds of rocks. They would really enjoy this.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

A good place to start is with the Web sites of museums and universities there in Saskatchewan. This will give you links that will be more relevant to your students.

In addition, here's a museum with a fine Web presence: The Exploratorium, http://www.exploratorium.edu. There will be links from here to other museums and Web sites.

6. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

I also like sciencespot.net

7. joyoakes

joyoakes Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I am also teaching 8th grade science. But mine is in physical science. I am looking to find fun stuff about the scientific method and safety symbols stuff for the first 2 weeks of school. I also would like some cool ice breakers.

Joy

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

have the kids make posters about safety rules and some of the steps for the scientific mehtod. Befor that you caould have a group discussion or a directed lesson on this! Have a great time! Terry G.

9. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

sciencespot.net has some cute stuff for safety with a sponge bob theme.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

SpongeBob for eighth graders... that's a slightly mind-bending concept...

Here's a link with some neat goodies: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/dnichol1/Resources.htm

And here's a link: http://www.chemistrycoach.com/tutorials-9.htm - not very up to date, alas, but with a huge section on lab safety. (I tried innovationguy's nifty tip of searching Google with the term "applet" added to my search term - in this case, "lab safety applet".)

Try this, too: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/info/resources/applets.html

11. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

Hey, there's even a bunch of genetics stuff with a Sponge Bob theme...and they LOVE it. Whatever motivates them! :)

12. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Jul 11, 2006

i teach 8th grade earth science. For safety, I have the kids make bumper stickers with safety slogans and safety rules on them and illustrate with symbols or cartoons. This is how I introduce them to the idea of a Rubric and explain how the rules of a rubric work like safety rules.
    Check out the earth science book by Janice VanCleeve. There is a great experiment in there using mars bars for the earth's crust.

13. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 12, 2006

14. mustang7

mustang7 Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

I have two suggestions for you. First check out PBS. I just joined this forum today, so they are not allowing me to post links to websites yet, but PBS has a site for teachers that I'm sure you can find via google, vivisimo or whatever. Another great place is Sites for Teachers, with links to over 1000 resource sites.
    Good luck!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

http://www.pbs.org is the overall Web site for PBS; rummage around a bit there and you'll find the part that's particularly dedicated to teachers.

And then there's radio: Science Friday, the weekly installment of Talk of the Nation that focuses on science, has a cool Web site for kids at http://www.sciencefriday.com/kids/. I found some unbelievably cool stuff on earthquakes there.