Help with Grade 5 Canadian Government Unit please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by coco193, Mar 6, 2007.

1. coco193

coco193 Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

Hi,
    Does anyone have any good ideas, especially intro activities for the Grade 5 Ontario 'Aspects of Citizenship and Government in Canada' unit? I've never taught this before and I'm just not sure where to start...
    Thanks for any ideas!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2007

Hi: I have a huge binder of stuff for this unit! I can try to glean through it and pull out some of the best to get to you. Where in Ontario are you? I'm a Special Ed teacher just north of Toronto.

I assume that you're going to be starting after March Break, so send me a PM with your email and I can arrange to mail some things to you to help you get started.

4. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Mar 8, 2007

Hi, I taught government too, OY! It was my least favourite unit, but I did not do it the way I would do it the next time. I think I would have the students start by creating their own school governments in groups, talking about what they think is important in a government, what rules they should have, what punishments they should have to rule breakers, whether some people should have more power or authority than others, etc. This way they talk about it within the context of school, which is more concrete then talking about our laws & gov't. Then show similarities and differences between their gov't and Canada's gov't and go from there.
    Hope this helps :)