help with general ed teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by resourcestress, Mar 13, 2009.

1. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

I co-teach in a high school and am having trouble with one general ed teacher who grades the special ed students to a high level where they always fail. I went to the team leader who was very supportive but still the teacher insisted on grading high. I went to the dept head who asked what is written down about grading special ed. I went to the head of special ed on my campus and finally got the support. I just have to vent and ask if I'm the only one who's general ed co-teacher is not getting the special ed students needs? My boss is meeting with the English department to explain how to meet the special ed kids needs but EVERY time there's an assignment I have to fight for these kids, yes it's worth it but I'm getting so-o tired of fighting.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2009

I could have written that this week, resourcestree. I don't know how many curses I muttered when I saw the report cards that went home--D minuses (50-52 % here) on the report cards of students who are not only identified with Learning Disabilities and Intellectual Disabilities, but are early ESL Learners as well. "Of course they can't do the work you are giving them--they can't read or understand it!!!!" My older students (grade 8) are quite vocal themselves, "Don't they know we have IEP's and we can't do exactly the same assignment as everyone else?" I'm beating my head against the wall, trying to convince many of the teachers I work with that they aren't being fair to the students. I talked about it with my principal today and she is trying to come up with a solution that involves compelling the general ed teachers to take responsibility for their students and not leaving the sole responsibility up to me! (I"ll let you know if she comes up with anything).

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2009

I pray for your students! In elementary I know first hand that it is difficult to meet the needs of the variously labeled students. But I also know that it has to be done and at some points I find myself creating things for just 1 student.

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 15, 2009

Why can't you be responsible for grading for those students? I am a middle school teacher (inclusion) and am responsible for the grades for "my" 9 kids. I also make modifications/accomodations for assignments, assessments, and projects. I pull all of their papers discretely during or after class and grade them, then I add them back into the general ed pile to be distributed - I'm all about creating an atmosphere where no one can figure out which kids are sped and which are gened.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

That's the way it should work, kidatheart, and how I wish it was in all of my classes. I work in 4 different classes and provide consultative support to 2 others. What I face (with some, not all, of the teachers I work with) is assignments and tests given without them being shown to me first for modification and then have them not being given to me to evaluate according to the program modifications we have been working on. Inclusion is definitely a work-in-progress at my school; many teachers are fully supportive and others just wish "those kids" would be taken out of their rooms. I'm hoping that, with time, things will come around.

7. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

thank you for your help and suggestions

I'm not the teacher of record, the regular ed teacher is in my district, so I don't grade or come up with the regular assignments, kidatheart. In the class I have the MOST problems with, the teacher grades and keeps their assignments. I have to beg to see the grades and assignments, BUT in another class I work in, that teacher gave me her password to grade book so at any time I can look up a student. As Mrs. C stated it's not that easy and I thank her for helping me feel that I'm not alone. In fact 2 students she's failing are ESL which in my district IS NOT allowed simply because the students DON'T understand the language. I went to my department head for English and she said, after I told her of the special ed department meeting about co-teach students do NOT fail, (and I quote), "is that is writing?" Then I went to my special ed department head who said she'll get a meeting together with the entire English department and explain but we're on spring break so it'll be next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again everyone!:unsure:

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 17, 2009

WOW - I'm sorry that things run that way for your districts. I know co-teaching is frustrating, but being excluded from the grading/assessments, etc is horrible. Our gen ed teachers are HAPPY (read dancing on their desks) that they do not have to grade the sped student papers!
    I hope that things evolve and change for you and that it becomes easier as time goes on.