Help with FTCE Gen Know math

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by IRead, Mar 18, 2011.

1. IRead

IRead New Member

Mar 18, 2011

I'm looking for someone who recently passed the FTCE General Knowledge math test in FL. I have just failed it for the second time and have no clue as to why. I've been tutored by a math teacher in my district who says that I'm more than ready so I was hoping I could get some idea where I can find some better guidance or more accurate study guides. I have been teaching ESE reading for three years and have all of my other tests passed so I’m getting desperate as I only have time to take it one more time before my temporary license expires. HELP!. :woot:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2011

People typically don't pass a basic-skills math test for one of two reasons: either they just don't have the math skills, or, given a question, they have trouble discerning which of the skills they possess are to be applied to it. In my experience, neither of those conditions is helped much by study guides that purport to be exactly aligned to the test.

The list of Competencies for GK Math is at http://www.fldoe.org/asp/ftce/pdf/82GeneralKnowledge.pdf. Are there particular areas in the math competencies that have been difficult for you? How are you at word problems?

4. IRead

IRead New Member

Mar 18, 2011

I am pretty good with word problems. I think my main problem is that I'm 58 and when I was in high school and college I didn't take Geometry or calculus so I’m trying to learn enough to get me through this test.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2011

6. blel0906

blel0906 Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

I took and passed 3 sections of the test on Tuesday 3/15 much to my surprise :) (with the exception of the essay which I froze on and have to wait for the score)

I used the REA test guide but to be honest it was way more complicated than the actual test..what helped me the most both to prepare and with my anxiety over the math was a 2 hour GK Math review given at my college. I highly suggest it if you can find one.

Basically to prepare for two weeks leading up to the test I did a practice exam every couple days and then would go back and try to figure out the one's I couldn't answer or got wrong..I refused to study the day before the exam and tried to make it a relaxing day (not that I could really sleep the night before)

You could be overthinking things and getting too hung up on the how to. For example one question I am certain there is a simple formula for I figured the long way. Something about College A has x amount of students and college B has x amount of students one was losing x students a year one was gaining x students a year what year will their enrollment be the same..I actually went year by year...I also when I could would plug in the answer choices so rather than solving for X I would try the different choices. And if I had to guess I would try to eliminate the obvious.

Hope this helped and good luck on your next attempt.

7. IRead

IRead New Member

Mar 21, 2011

Where did you get your practice exams? I'm having trouble finding ones that have questions anything like the ones I saw on the test.

Thanks

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 21, 2011

I found the books and the practice exams very helpful in that you got an idea of the style of questions being asked. I found it just as instructive to go through each question and read the answers given. (It had a very clear set of explanations of why A,C,D were wrong and B was right.)
    Additionally, it is good to practice taking tests because it may have been a while since you have had to do so and it will build your testing rhythm, so to speak.
    Finally, I double checked every single answer before I submitted it. I know that is very basic to taking a test, but did you proofread your answers? Sometimes you can make silly mistakes and choose the wrong letter, though you may have solved correctly.
    Best Wishes!

9. blel0906

blel0906 Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

I was talking to some of my fellow classmates tonight and was told that the Cliffs test guide is the best for math but the reading was covered better in the REA guide. REA came with a disc that contained 2 practice tests that were timed like the real test

Any of the test guides will have practice tests. Again the GK math review class I attended had the most relevant problems and those questions were from some of the test guides.

10. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

I just took the GK Math test today for the 3rd time and I actually passed it. Honestly, the math on these test books is much more complicated than what is on the FTCE. When I went to the DOE the lady actually told me that the best thing to do is to get a GED book for math and study it. It is quite helpful and actually helps you to understand how to solve algebra and geometry. Work through the examples, and be sure to read the explanations. When you can understand how to work the problems it will make it easier when you take the test.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2011

Congratulations, lexyshley - and it sounds like you've not only passed the test, but gotten a better grasp on math!

12. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

FTCE General Knowledge

Were you having any problems in a specific area? I just took it for the 3rd time today and passed it. I used a GED Math book to help me this time.

13. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

Thank you!!! :thanks:

14. uselogic55

uselogic55 New Member

Mar 31, 2011

I took and passed the test in West Palm beach, florida on March, 2011. Here is my personal e-mail: successful39@yahoo.com
    I will help you with the test.

15. IRead

IRead New Member

Apr 5, 2011

Your email was stripped from your post maybe you can email me at laurel dot james at saintleo dot edu.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2011

The forum software automatically strips email addresses, IRead. I notice that uselogic can receive private messages, though - and that's the standard way that we share personal information on A to Z. Click on uselogic55's user name (I mean, the blue link at the top of uselogic's post) and you should see a menu of options that includes sending a private message. If not, let me know.

17. causeandeffect

causeandeffect New Member

Apr 26, 2011

I too, just took the GK Math for the 2nd time and did not pass. I need to pass by the end of this school year, which only leaves me one more attempt (and filled with anxiety.... :( )

I used the Cliff Notes guide, which seems to be right on the money as far as what I encountered on the actual exam. My problems (as well as not being the best at math-understatement!) are test anxiety, and taking too long on each test question. I have passed 3 subject area exams, and the other 3 areas of the GK, all on the first attempt. I even had a tutor for this time around, but she would ask me what I wanted to work on instead of guiding me....

IRead, have you taken it again yet? If not, what are you doing to prepare? We have 2 things in common, I teach reading and am also older and new to teaching (49) so I feel your pain. Let us know how it is working out and if you have any tips, hints, etc.?? :) Or anyone else out there!

18. GISELAD

GISELAD Rookie

May 3, 2011

Hi Lexyshley,
    You say you used a GED Math Book to help you study, could you share which one? There are several out there.

Many thanks!

19. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

Hi,
    Congrats to you for passing your tests! I will be taking the PED in August. What did you think of the exam? Was it very difficult? I will also take the GK in October.:dizzy:

thanks!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2011

LearningExpress publishes books that might help: try Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day.

21. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

I PASSED THE PED TEST TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!THANK GOD!!!@:thumb::D

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 24, 2011

Congratulations, gettingthere12!

23. TeachPinellas

TeachPinellas New Member

Nov 17, 2011

Hi! I needed a tutor to help me pass! I had taken the test three times, and kept failing, but after working with the tutor, I passed!!! It made all the difference in the world for me! (I don't know where you are, but if you are in Tampa Bay, I recommend Seeds of Knowledge Tutoring!) I hope this helps! Good luck!

-Marie

24. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jan 15, 2012

wow

Thank you!! I have to take the Math and Reading soon. I am not concerned with the reading, the math concerns me a lot!! I am frazzled because i heard that it is a lot of algebra and geometry on the exam. I have the Cliff Notes book and I like the way it explains the answer. I am so nervous and I havent even signed up for the tests! What am I goung to do?? :help::confused::unsure:

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2012

First: breathe, please.

Geometry on basic skills tests is usually a matter of applying (and sometimes knowing) basic formulas for perimeter and area and possibly volume. You probably did this sort of geometry in sixth or seventh grade. Find shapes in your house to play with, please.

If CliffNotes is helping you see what's going on with the math, then it's a good book for you. Try having conversations with the book: when you read a question, ask yourself, "What would Cliff do?" It's amazing how often the beginnings of the answer will come.

26. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

Good luck to you. I have to take that

hat test too. I NEED PRAYER TO PASS IT!

27. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks teachergroupie for your assistance. I recently passed the Reading portion and the Math is the last portion I need to master!! I will take the exam March 31, so I need to study problems everyday. I will do my very best, I have anxiety when it comes to Math.:dizzy:

28. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Feb 8, 2013

I know this is an old post I am responding to, but the reference to the book by Learning Express is awesome (if trying to pass the math section of GK exam). Simply take the math competencies and search for skill in the book. Then practice, practice practice (assuming test taker have the prequisite skills of basic math:).

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, teach4USA, and thanks for the endorsement.

(Point of terminology: the post I am typing responds to your post, and "Help with FTCE Gen Know math" is a thread. No worries - it took me quite a while to get posts and threads straight, Way Back When - but having 'em straight makes life slightly easier.)

30. history

history Companion

Jul 10, 2016

I know this is an old post and the math has changed.
    I have heard the word problems are so difficult that you have to think outside the box and even people that are good in math are constantly failing.
    Do you think a.math class will help ( pre algebra class) with the word problems? I do not know if they teach common core at community colleges. I took pre algebra in 2008 and and that is the only exposure I have had in this area. My concern is if I take the class ( takes a.long time) and then take the game I might be backs to square one of I fail.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

Basic skills tests as a class test math that isn't very advanced, as far as each individual skill is concerned. What tends to throw people is that a word question will require one or more skills applied in unexpected combinations. And what tends to have people in a lather about Common Core math is the presentation of alternative strategies, before reverting to the quicker standard methods, in order to ensure that students can not only do the math but understand the math.

You might well find that a pre-algebra class (or diligent work with, say, Khan Academy) will help with the skills themselves, and that looking up Common-Core math lesson plans for various grades will then acquaint you with some of the alternative strategies. Alternatively, see if there might be a math-for-teachers class on offer; I know that's a prerequisite for credentialing in California.

32. history

history Companion

Jul 11, 2016

Grou
    Groupie
    How would a math tutor( familiar with the exam and common core) be compared to taking a pre algebra class in the way of time and money? Please also keep in mind that I needed a tutor when I took the pre algebra class in 2008.
    Thanks

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2016

A tutor worth hiring won't be cheap.

To support students taking its basic math/pre-algebra course, the community college nearest me has a Math Study Center that offers group and individual tutoring. Something like that might be your most cost-effective choice, since from your posts here it would seem that self-study doesn't work so well for you.

34. Melym1212

Melym1212 Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

I just took the math test for the third time and still didn't pass!! I completely devastated. Question: has anyone ever taken this test and only gotten 44 questions?? I always took this test with 45 questions. anybody have any idea? Should I call the testing company? could this have affected my score??