Help with EL!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacheroo, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Hi everyone.

I have a new student who speaks NO English. His primary language is Spanish and I know NO Spanish. WOO! :lol: Does anyone know of any resources, especially worksheets, that are Spanish to English? I have been able to print off the math lessons in Spanish and have found him the Reading Book in Spanish, but those aren't helping him to learn English. I'm looking for pages to help him learn words and phrases in English. We have a couple of books, and flashcards, but he's gone through all of it! I'm not sure how long I will have this student (he may be transferred to another school:( ), so stuff I can print off the internet would be better than trying to order books. Thanks!

3. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 7, 2009

What grade?

4. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 7, 2009

lol Just saw the grade in your name...

Is he able to articulate at all in English?

5. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 7, 2009

very very little. He only moved here less than a month ago. He says good morning and good bye. Yesterday I was trying to talk to him, and he got so frustrated he handed me his Spanish English dictionary! :lol: poor kid! Luckily I have a student who can translate a bit.

6. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 7, 2009

All the resources I've found are just too high for him. I need worksheets you would find in a high school Spanish class, but for English.

7. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

This is the best web site for Spanish ELLs.
    http://www.colorincolorado.org/

Even if he is there only one month, help him with the basics right now. Label everything in the classroom so he can start with nouns.

Also, there are numerous cognates (and some false cognates) that English and Spanish share. Show him those so he knows he is not completely lost (and maybe you will pick up a little Spanish :)). http://www.colorincolorado.org/pdfs/articles/cognates.pdf

Good luck!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I think another great site is Dave's ESL Cafe (Google it). There are many teacher resources there for you to use with this student.

Are you sure that the student is literate in Spanish? Lots of my hispanohablantes are illiterate in Spanish, so it wouldn't do me any good to find Spanish versions of handouts/texts/worksheets for them.