help with cover letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bioteac, Jul 29, 2009.

1. bioteac

bioteac New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Hi I have been applying to jobs all summer and Haven't got any hits. I was wondering maybe I need to tweek my cover letter a little. below is my general cover letter that I have edited to fit different school districts. I need some help in editing it. Have any advice? Let me know.

Jennifer Dible
    Address
    Phone Number and Email Address

July 29, 2009

Jane Doe
    Board Secretary
    City School District
    4561 west third Ave
    Columbus, OH 43212

Currently, I am seeking a science teaching position in the City School District. I hold a five year professional license in life science and I am able to teach grades seventh through twelfth. For the past two years, I have worked at Summit Academy Schools teaching Earth science, Physical science, Biology and Integrated science. I believe that these qualifications will make me an excellent candidate for teaching science at City School District.

As a teacher, I want to help students become life-long learners and to encourage all students to work to their full potential. I want students to come out of the classroom loving to learn and to continue learning after they leave high school. I believe this is the ultimate goal of education.

Through my teaching experience, I have gained many skills to help students achieve success and enjoy learning. To develop these skills, I collaborated with other teachers to plan curriculum and instructional activities. To help students with diverse learning styles and abilities to achieve success, I implemented many strategies including differentiated instruction, hands-on science activities and technology. These strategies helped to achieve my goals of creating an atmosphere where students are engaged in their own learning, providing opportunities for all students to succeed and encouraging students to become life-long learners. I feel that these skills could greatly benefit your educational program.

Please refer to the enclosed resume. I am interested in meeting with you to discuss my qualifications for a science position. I can be reached on my cell phone at 419-308-2036. Thank you for your time in reviewing my application. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Dible

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I think it's fine, but I'm a newbie and haven't got any bites on mine either. Some the advice I received from other AtoZ posters was to include an example of a lesson or something specific that you did. I know it's not much help--hopefully, some of our teachers that have gotten jobs will weigh in their opinions.
    Good luck.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

I don't like the first sentence starting with currently.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

most of your statements could be said of any teacher. can you make them more personable? for example you say "To help students with diverse learning styles and abilities to achieve success, I implemented many strategies including differentiated instruction, hands-on science activities and technology." can you give a more specific example of HOW you did this?

6. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I agree with previous posters. While there's certainly nothing wrong with anything you've said, it seems like it could be said by any teacher. Try to include things that make you unique or that tells about your own teaching style