Help with controling the talking!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherBug08, Nov 25, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Nov 25, 2013

How do you handle the talking in the afternoons? (Btw, I teach first grade).I have been struggling with talkers/not good listeners in the afternoons. I use the clip chart system. I don't give warnings- if they are not doing their job they move their clip down right away. I feel like I have become so mean in the afternoon because they just don't do their jobs!! I praise the good ones, give stickers, and awards. If one person is talking do you stop (that is what I do but it can take so much time away) or if you have one or two talking do you teach to those who want to learn? I am a first year teacher who is struggling to go to work each day. I think it is hard because I never struggled in my past experiences. I always thought I could handle an inner school and I know now that I cannot. Can someone please give me some suggestions so I can make through this year?!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 25, 2013

Demand 100%. Don't settle for less than full participation. That's the biggest mistake I've seen new teachers make. 23 out of 25 kids following your directions and waiting silently isn't good enough.

4. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Nov 25, 2013

So you agree to stop instruction and wait for all of the students to be on task. I am constantly saying ____, _____, _____ move your clips down please. Then I review my expectations. Its just like driving me insane. Most of the class does a good job, but I have a handful that can not get it together.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 25, 2013

Absolutely. If you let one or two kids talk over you, what message does that send? It tells those one or two kids that it's okay to talk, and it tells the other 23 that either the rules are different for those kids, or that you don't really mind talking. If you are in front of the class teaching, children's voices need to be off, even if that means you stop mid-sentence.

6. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Nov 25, 2013

Thank You

What can I do differently? Just keep holding them accountable with the clip chart and following the consequences set in place. Is it mean of me to say "________ move your clip down that is unacceptable in my classroom. (in front of everyone?)" I don't have time to go up to each student individually. I continue to give those who are doing their job move their clip up.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2013

I would definitely make sure that your expectations are very clear and I would first focus on having students clip up. This tends to turn around some small behaviors.

I would definitely try to talk with students individually when possible. You may just want to leave it as ____ move your clip down in front of the class. Then talk to the student later about the behavior.

8. mkate

mkate Comrade

Nov 26, 2013

As far as the "waiting it out" strategy-- what do you do if you are waiting for a few students to stop talking, but they don't seem to notice/care, and in the meantime other students who were initially quiet begin to talk since "might as well, we're not doing anything anyway"?

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Nov 26, 2013

Check out Whole Brain Teaching. The downloads are free, and there are several tools, especially "Class-Yes!" and the "Scoreboard Game" that are made for your needs.

10. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 26, 2013

People are social animals and need to communicate with each other. In our school, the kids were denied socialization by not allowing them to:
    *gather before school on the playground
    *eat breakfast together in the cafeteria
    *talk in line or in the corridors
    *talk in class (unless carefully controlled by the teacher)
    *talk during lunch in the cafeteria
    *have a decent recess

And you wonder why you can't stop the talking in the afternoon?:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
    Try doing this to adults (especially teachers) and see what happens!!!