Help with classroom decor?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by leslied, Jul 5, 2007.

1. leslied

leslied Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Hello! I will be starting a kindergarten position this fall and I am so excited! I have previously taught 2-3rd grade and was wondering:

What does every good kindergarten classroom has in it that I need

How should I set up my circle area/meeting area? Like, should we count the days, go over weather, etc?

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 5, 2007

In my kindergarten classroom I have a library section, a house/dramatic play area, a block area, an area for games (for when they are finished with their work). I also have a rug area where we do the calendar, weather, counting to our 100th day, morning message and whole group activities.
    Here are some pictures of how my classroom looked last year..will look very different this year b/c I am moving things around and getting rid of a few things/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. leslied

leslied Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Thanks so much! The photos are so helpful!

5. susieq

susieq Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Hello! I too taught 2nd grade and moved down to Kindergarten last year. I organized my classroom much the same way as in 2nd but just took it down to their level. Our calendar time consisted of weather, days of the week, the date, counting days of school both numerically and using a place value mat and straws, periodically reviewing the monthsof the year. This was also the time where I flashcarded their names (starting with first name), flashcard alphabet (maybe the first 5 letters we will be targeting along with their sound), flashcard numbers (1-10 to start with), play a sight word game with targeted weekly sight word. This sounds like a lot of flashcarding but they need repetition like no other. We then go write into phonemic awareness activities and an interactive writing lesson which usually consists of writing one sentence and students come up to make corrections or write letters or words they know. Hope this helps:)